Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery scheduled

Jennifer P.JJennifer P. Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:41 AM in Lower Back Pain
Just wanted to update everybody....

Saw my doctor today, and I'll be going in for the spinal fusion surgery on March 24th. He told me it's going to be a 6-7 hour long surgery and they'll be going in through both the front and the back. I was also told that I will be out of work for 3-6 months.

I'm freaking out a little bit, not too much though. I freaking out more because I have another month to go through this before the surgery.

Just curious....I was told there will be no physical therapy or rehab after the surgery. I was kind of surprised about that. Is that normal? Did anybody else not have to have physical therapy?
advertisement

Comments

• Jennifer is that a 2 lvl fusion or 3? I was just curioius and how are they doing it, Sounds like a 360? Hope everything works out for you. :)

I just had a 1 lvl and PT comes for me like a month or 6 weeks afterwards, I'm at the 2 week mark and I see him in 2 weeks, I will know then. I'm sure you will have PT but it will be way down the road. ;)
  • I've not had a fusion. But I have discusssed it with several doctors (revision microdiscectomy vs. fusion). Most said PT but not until after a few weeks. But that was a level 1 (or 1-level) fusion.

You may want to post under the Neck/Back surgeries forum section as you may get a few more responses.

The other thread to keep an eye out for under that same sub-forum is "March Surgeries".

I let folks know I was a february surgery and really got a ton of support from other february surgery patients.

Good luck!
  • Physical therapy is usually done after fusion...but it is up to the surgeon. You will work with a therapist in the hospital who will get you on your feet and give you the basics. When my MIL have a one level lumbar fusion, her surgeon told her he no longer orders it routinely because he had seen too many cases where it did more harm than good.

When I had a similar surgery, my surgeon left it entirely up to me. I decided to do it but I didn't start till I was about 16 weeks out. It is really important to find a PT who is experienced with orthopedic spinal cases...otherwise it can be a waste of time and money.
  • I just had the same surgery 4weeks ago. My doctor has not mention physical therapy. He did the surgery a week apart from each other. They did the back first and then a week later the front. Good Luck.
  • I just had the same surgery 4weeks ago. My doctor has not mention physical therapy. He did the surgery a week apart from each other. They did the back first and then a week later the front. Good Luck.
  • My surgeon also not so encourage me to go for PT. He gave me when i ask. I also can't under what is the reason.

But, as i know, PT is more important to us when we are process to heal. :/

Emma

Percudyn on 1209. Will go for TLIF/microsectomy/dicsoplasty
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.