Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentanyl Patch

Christina69CChristina69 Posts: 534
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Pain Medications
I was just to the pain management today as Ive been in constant pain worse then ever before. The dr. changed me from Morphine which I felt wasnt doing alot to the Fentanyl Patch (50's). Does Anyone have any info they can give me on these patches and how they find them in comparison with other drugs such as morphine. I definetly dont wanna go backwards in my pain relief.
He's also talking about changing my Zanaflex to Soma in the future but doesnt want to do it all at once.

Any info is appreciated.

• Everyone reacts to things differently. But the Fentanyl patches worked alot better than the morphine for me. Morphine made me tired all the time. It does take some time for the patch to get in your system. But it is nice not having to pop pills and have as many of the ups and downs. I dont think you will find yourself going backwards on these, when you get a steady dose in your system. The first couple patches you need to be careful driving etc until you know how they effect you. They can make you really sleepy, to the point of not being able to keep your eyes open, and may hit you fairly fast. It is something I found, may not affect you that way.
    If there is anything else I can offer to you, PM me. I have used them for over a year. Love, Robin
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    have very positive results.

Most doctors do not like to make too many changes at one time. It is better to make one change at a time to see the results. If you made multiple changes, you might not know which one was the one that helped you.

Zanaflex is a good muscle relaxer. The one problem is that it can cause problems with your liver. I was on Zanaflex for about a year and my doctor had me get blood work every 60 days to check on the liver functions.

I am now using Soma. I prefer it over Zanaflex, only because it helped with my spasms without making me groggy.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I found with zanaflex is that it helps me fall asleep at night. Like so many other members, I also have insomnia. That's one fear I have, that I wont be able to sleep as well without the zanaflex and I'll have to resort to yet another pill for that.

• is an excellent pain reliever. It does take some time to build to a proper blood plasma level but once it does, it gives some of the best pain relief out there amongst the pain medications.
    Make sure that there you stick the patch is free of body hair. The upper arm and chest wall, shoulder blades where there isn't much movement of muscles are the best places to put the patches. I also like using the the calves of my legs. They also work really well. If you find the patches won't stick , use tegaderm to cover the patches. That works well and doesn't cause rashes due to adhesives.
    Make sure to follow the directions for the patches.