Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post surgery, temporary handicap parking?

sarajossarajo Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
just wondering.. did anyone that had fusion get a temporary handicap parking tag? I just cant imagine when I finally will be able to drive walking a far way away. Maybe by that time I'll be better enough? I dont know...


  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    States have different rules for obtaining a Handicap Parking sticker.

    For starers, you will need a note from your doctor indicating that it would be medically better for you to use a handicap sticker.
    Then you would go to your DMV to get things processed.

    I have heard about people that get a sticker for only 3 to 6 months.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I was able to go to the state of AZ DMV web page and then download and print off the form, I completed the majority of it and then just presented it to my doctor. He didn't even blink, he signed it. I then took it to MVD and was handed a 6 mo placard.

    Much of the form was information on me (dob, drivers license number, doctor name, date placard to be effective, etc) thus that's why I was able to do most of the form. I even filled in the address of my surgeon's office, their phone number, etc.

    In AZ it's either temporary or permanent and temporary is always 6 months.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • on how you do. 15 months post surgery and I still have a handicapped parking sticker. I use it for work and for when I have to shop for groceries. If I have to just go into a store for one or two things, I try to park farther away and try to walk, but I cannot walk and carry anything heavy. I even have trouble walking medium distances without my back muscles twisting. So far, my sticker is good through July, which makes it about a year and a half of handicapped parking.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • In New Jersey the temporary tag is for 6 months and is gotten through local police pct after form filled out by md. At the end of six months I believe you can get one extension or apply for permanant tag through DMV. I did not get extension but went to permanant as my condition kept getting worse and I became disabled. Most of us on this forum should qualify for permanant handicapped parking. You do not need to have surgery to qualify.
  • I got one for 6 mo. Downloaded the form from MVD, had doc fill it out and turned it in to DMV. In fact it expires at the end of this month! It helped a ton!
  • All the states appear to be a little different. Just look on the website for your state's DMV, under Handicapped Parking and you should be able to find what the process is for obtaining one.
  • I asked my surgeon about it at my first post-op appointment and he left the room and came back with a form all filled out. My MIL took it to the DMV and came home with two temporary 3-month tags, one for each car. I also have a piece of paper that I keep in my purse proving that I have the tag so when I go with a friend whose driving, I can use it in their car also.

    In my state, it's a piece of cake, but my doc said that in some states, it's much more difficult.

Sign In or Register to comment.