Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Old Dogs

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Water Cooler
Do they loose their body clock like some elderly people do?

Chewy is up every other hour all night long, barking or whining at the door. Slowly driving us insane. He's 100lbs and you don't want to take a chance the old dog really needs to go to the bathroom, but, it's almost as bad as being awake all night. He won't stay out either, if you leave him out and go back to bed he will be fine for about 20 minutes then he goes to the edge of the porch and barks constantly till someone lets him in.

So, we either have to get up let him out and wait 10-20 minutes for him to get done whatever he is doing, or we take turns, one lets him out the other lets him in.

We had valium for him for thunderstorms and that just made him stupid, did not calm him down at all, so that's not the answer. We can't walk him and wear him out, his hips and one knee are completely shot. What do you do with a dog that won't sleep?

Oh, and to top it off my wife, who refuses to wear slippers though she complains her feet are cold, kicked the edge of our bathroom door and broke her toe...Now she is limping around with her toe taped to the others. The doctor told her she should probably have a walking boot for this one. I think she is going in to get one today. With the boot they will give her a temporary handicap permit too.

• My dog use to do the same thing.Then I got smart and put in a doggie door. Now I can sleep My 2 to 3 hours a night.

• I think old dogs totally do lose their sense of time. My poor old Herry (13) has been moved twice in 2 yrs and it takes the guy soooo long to get adjusted. Right after my surgery last year, he randomly decided he wanted out every 2-3 hrs, but only at night. during the day he would stay in for 8 hrs at a time without a single issue. Finally he got over that, and now, even after the last move, he is sleeping through the night. But now he's losing more of his sight and hearing! Ya know people get insulted when you say your pets are just like children...but it can be so true...and actually you end up going from caring for them like children to caring for them like the elderly!
  • Dang it those dogs.

You first get them and they are all sweet and cuddly and have that sweet puupy breathe...Of course you have to house train them and keep them from eating EVERYTHING, and I do mean everything. Then you get them trained and they become your BEST friend. And I do mean best friend.

They follow you everywhere, obey your every command. (OK, maybe not every command. Some of them are quite stubborn. Both mine are. Must run in the family) They listen when you are hurting and need a friend. They never talk back. (Well, Ok, some are mouthy. Mine can bark about nothing for hours.) But they seem to know just when you need comfort and love and offer you years worth of love, companionship, support and even entertainment.

Then of course they start getting a little older and they need a little extra TLC. Start acting a little bit like us, their owners. What else are we to do? I feel your pain. Their medical cost alone is out of this world. But like I said, What else are we to do?

Now the cat! Well if yours is anything like mine, he has made up his mind. He will decide where he will sleep, when he will sleep as well as when and where he will do anything else. You are just occupying space IN HIS HOME because he has allowed it!

Here's hoping your "old dog" get's back on schedule soon, you and your wife both get some pain free days, and you all get some well needed rest.

• painkiller said:
    My dog use to do the same thing.Then I got smart and put in a doggie door. Now I can sleep My 2 to 3 hours a night.

Jim, Chewy is 100lb Airedale terrier, he can lay his head on the dining room table. A doggie door would not be a doggie door, it would just be regular door with a plastic flap that anything and anyone on the planet could walk through!

others, thanks for the comments, I was hoping someone had a cure, guess not...bummer.
  • Sorry to hear Chewy is keeping you up at night. I've watched the Dog Whisperer Show and bet he could help you out. I only have a kitten and she's wanting to go out but she shivers from the cold and she's not fixed yet so I was thinking of putting a cat window in the summer time but there's so many raccoons around I don't want them slipping in through the kitty window. I wonder if your Vet could check out Chewy must be a reason he isn't sleeping at night though. Either way hope you get your rest. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi,

I also have an older dog of 16 yrs of age, and just found out that Laso Apso's average an age of 20 yrs old. Oh Man! I love him dearly, and unless he's in serious pain. I would not ever put him down, but there are day I want to strangle him. LOL! We refer to Winnie as old and senile. His hearings not good. His eye sight is deminished. And he has a mind of his own, where he will wander off in his own little world. Then I have to go get him, and bring him home. When I get to him, he acts suprised, and tries to bite ya, until realizes it's you. Good thing, he's missing teeth. So what are you to do?

I know what your talking about when it comes to letting them out ever hour or so, and the time you don't they go on the floor. Mine will sit and whine at you for no reason, or he forgot what he wanted. I don't know. I can make sure he has food, water, and that he been outside, but he'll still whine. Does it get better? No, not here. As Winnie's gotten older, he's gotten more demanding. But we love him, so we put up with him. Nothing else we can really do.

Bobbi Jo
  • Wramble,
    Just thought of this. Wild guess but last week my dog was doing something very similar at night. She's not real old and it was so off the wall I didn't really compare but maybe...

She kept getting up and whining and crying and pacing. Yes we were getting up letting her out and that just didn't seem to be doing the trick. On the third day I happened to mention to my neighbor how I didn't know how I could handle another sleepless night because of my dog. She said, "tell me about it. I haven't sleep the last twe nights. For some reason our smoke alarm keeps chirping all night and my husband and I both forgot to go out and get new batteries."
    What! Here's a new battery quick change it.
    I think my dog was hearing their smoke alarm.
    The neighbors slept all night that next night and so did our dog. Me? No, but it wasn't the dogs fault.

I'm doubting it but hey, it could happen! Something could be bothering her hearing.

Good Luck
  • I have a 13 year old Chow mix, also named Chewy. For 13 he is doing pretty good. At this age, we just try to make him as comfortable as we can.

Is it possible that your Chewy is waking up from pain and stiffness and needs to move around? We have Duramaxx but don't use it often. We have Chewy on 2.5 Benadryl tabs at night and as needed in the AM. We started him on this due to his constant iching and chewing. It does seem to help him sleep through the night though.

Long term use of these drugs is not recommended. 13 yrs. for a large breed that has an age expectancy of 10 yrs is pretty good, so at this point we do whatever is going to make him more comfortable.

He has started having more "accidents" in the house because he does not always want to get up and go out.

• Hi Wrambler,

Since poor Chewy has lots of joint issues, have you looked into an orthopedic pet bed, maybe he can't sleep because he's achey? We have large breed dogs and use ones that have an eggcrate type foam - seems to be very comfortable for them. Does he have any vision or hearing losses, sometimes this can cause confusion and the dog will whine, bark, etc. Check w/ your vet and see if he/she thinks it OK to try some melatonin (usual dose 3-5 mg 1x/day), can help w/ sleep issues.

Hope this helps,
  • We put him on Benedryl after 4 nights of him being up every 1.5 hours wanting out we could not take any more...we didn't call the vet. He's approaching 12 years old and his hips and one knee are toast. So he lays around all day and snoozes cause no one is home.

Then when my wife goes to bed, she often naps on the couch till 1:00am, he starts wanting out!

The Benedryl put him out all night Saturday and yesterday we 'tortured" him, we tossed pillows at him and generally just woke him up when he trid to nap. nothing real mean. Just kept him awake. So last night he slept all night again.

So, It looks like we will give him benedryl on weeknights and keep him awake as much as possible when we are home.

It's really frustrating to have such a good dog and watch him go this way. I'm soon going to be 49 and I have had many dogs, but never one as good as this one is. I don't want him to ever go, but I almost wish it went quicker for him so I did not have to watch him suffer. He still is so happy much of the time, to much to even think it is time for him to go yet. soon though, all too soon. Until then we will just keep working with the vet and trying to keep him mobile and happy.
  • Awww... Poor baby! It's so hard to watch them grow older.

Does he still like to chew on chewies or dog bones? Can he?
    Maybe a long slow chew on a good dog bone or chewy in the evening would keep him awake for a while each evening.

Just a thought.
  • Maybe now that it is warming up we won't have to drug him!!!

It was in the 40's last night and he was laying out on the porch about 12:30 when my wife got up to go to bed. He refused to get up and come in the house. She shut both gates on the porch and came to bed.

He stayed on the porch all night, never barked or anything, what a relief!

Funny thing is that this morning he went straight to the basement where he spends the day in the winter and refused to come back up!

Silly dog, spend all night on the porch and all day in the basement...
  • He's chilled out a little since it warmed up.

I had hoped the warm weather would help out my poor little old man and all his pain. But unfortunately he gets worse and worse every day. Falling all the time, and now can't hold himself up to go to the bathroom. :(

Friday I will be taking him to end his suffering. After 13 years with the best dog in the world, my heart is absolutely broken but I can't watch him suffer any more. It's just not fair to him.

• awalker819 said:

Friday I will be taking him to end his suffering. After 13 years with the best dog in the world, my heart is absolutely broken but I can't watch him suffer any more. It's just not fair to him.

My mom's vet told her that it is very important to look for the time when we are keeping a pet alive for ourselves over the comfort of the pet.

So sad, for you to have to let him go.

I keep watching for the signs that Chewy is truly unhappy and in pain that keeps him down. for the last couple of winters I have crossed my fingers and prayed we could get him through the cold and see him enjoy another summer, so far, it appears we will get that at least one for time.

• awalker,

So sorry about your little old man, it's the hardest part about having a furkid when you have to make the decision about letting them go. I still think about my Styx and it's 2 years ago we had to help her over the Rainbow Bridge.

• I had a friend whose dog did this same thing. She was so tired she cried, as she had to get up and take care of kids and work full time on top of not getting hardly any sleep.

It turned out her dog had a bladder infection. I don't know about dogs or men ( no pun lol ) but when us women have a bladder infection it SEEMS we have to pee ALL the time, making many useless trips to the restroom. So maybe this is what your dog has/feels ??
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • awalker >:D< Thinking of you....
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Waits for no man, or dog. Chewy has gotten progressively worse theses last few weeks. Tuesday he had a dose of steroids by injection and so far it has not helped. I've only cried twice this evening, yeah real tough guy here. He just can't get up and when we do get him up he wobbles like he has lost control.
    I know he is in some pain, but not much, we are just waiting to see if the steroids kick in. The vet says to call if it had not helped by Monday or Tuesday. Last step is oral steroids, We really think it is a matter of figuring out when he is in pain and can;t get up. He seems content to lay and watch the world go buy...
    I am heartbroken, I had forgotten how hard this will be