Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 years after cervical fusion w/hardware for stenosis

K61KK61 Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Spinal Stenosis

2 years ago I had surgery for cervical stenosis involving
C3-C5. Before the surgery I had no pain just some tingling in my hands which I still have. 5 days before the surgery I
had made up my mind to cancel the whole procedure. At the time I was having a tooth crowned and due to having my head
tilted back too far and too long I experienced temporary
paralysis from the knees up. Needless to say I decided to go ahead with the surgery.
Now 2 years later I have more or less constant pain, sometimes severe, in my neck, shoulders and upper back. Add
to that the pain in my back, needs surgery, and my knee, also needs surgery, it makes for some really lousy days.
I take 3 Lyrica (450mg), 8 tramadol (400mg) and 4 flexeril (40mg) a day. I am on nothing stronger because I am
still working. I am a water treatment plant operator and every day just about kills me.
Now for the million dollar question, would I have the surgery again givin the choice. Yes, Yes, and Yes, I was lucky that temporary paralysis was in a dentist's chair and
not behind the wheel of a car. 10 minutes as basically a
quadriplegic was enough for my lifetime. I may hate being in
chronic pain, but I have not had any more bouts with paralysis. I don't know if this will help anyone, but it sure felt good to say it.

• How're you feeling now?
  • I had c6-7 cervical fusion for herniated disc and stenosis. 2 1/2 months after the surgery I began to develop pain again left side neck, shoulder, arm, and tingling hand and first 3 fingers. I had another MRI done and it shows at C6-7 anterior fusion with 2 mm retrolisthesis and disc osteophyte producing mild stenosis and moderate left foraminal stenosis including displacement of the left C7 nerve root. I thought my fusion surgery would have eliminated the stenosis problem. Has anyone ever experienced stenosis or displacement of the root this soon after surgery?
  • What did they use to fuse your neck? Did you have BMP? What does your surgeon say? I am curious as sometimes you hear BMP causing extra bone growth. I had an ACDF c6c7 12 weeks ago still have prickly feelings on back from waist up and around to my breasts. Did you have that too or still having it? Did you have a cage?
  • sedavis81ssedavis81 New MexicoPosts: 3
    HI There,

My father is having surgery next wednesday for treating severe cervical stenosis. He has complete numbness in his hands, arms and feet. Currently cannot walk without assistance (although he is stubborn and tries to do on his own). He also is starting to have some incontinence. The surgeon said that surgery is his only option to stop from being paralyzed. He is trying to get any information about the spinal fusion... he is not so scared of the surgery just more of the hardware and chronic pain that he hears about. 

Quite frankly, the surgeon said he has no other option.... We are just trying to be informed of what is to be expected. They are doing the surgery through the back of the neck rather than the front.

Any advice or comments will help tremendously.

Thank you,
This discussion has been closed.