Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS moved from back to front-Also-Is working out banned?

CathieCCathie Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I'm at a loss. My doc wants me to go through ANOTHER surgery and move my scs from my mid/left back to my lower ab. How can that be comfortable?! Also, 2 of the 3 leads are OFF because they bring on rib/chest wall pain. The lead for my leg seems to be working.
Another doctor suggested my leads simply be moved to a more beneficial location, but implied my original doc may not listen to this. My husband is incensed, telling to switch to this new md They are colleagues. Awkward. If my original guy doesn't listen to me this morning I will have to make that decision.
Is the abdomen really a more comfortable placement? Also, I am still trying to stay strong and do pilates/ballet. Is this off-limits? I have had to stop weight training and running, and trying hard not to plunge into self-pity. Watching the Olympics doesn't help. I used to do half those sports without a thought. No more I guess.

• I don't know if it is more comfortable or not, my PM ignored my request and placed it where he felt like it.

I think It would be easier to charge, maybe program with out the antenna etc, Moving it is going to start the whole burning pocket time period all over again.

If, my leads weren't working then I would probably have mine moved. I had mine placed on my right side, my right shoulder is the bad one, my thinking was it would leave me a side that did not hurt to sleep on during recovery, but it can be very painfull at times for me to manipulate the remote and get that bleeping charging belt in the correct place with my bad side.

pilates and ballett? you will likely need to learn to modify your routines if they are doable at all. Over extending can pull your leads, they have loops in them to allow some movement and are anchored, but too much extension can pull the anchors out.
    Maybe they can allow extra if you insist you will do the routines and extension anyway? I suspect they will tell you not to do it.

Just working overhead sets my back and pocket on fire. I haven't pulled a lead loose or anything, but the strain moves the leads and I guess that movement within the tissue is what causes the burn.

I had mine implanted May 4th of last year, so I expect if the burn from overdoing it would lessen I would see some sign of that.

The whole limitation thing seems to be some big gray foggy area with my PM. He says do anything you want. I say what about working overhead, he says oh once and a while but not repetitively. I say what about bending lifting and reaching, same answer.

I say,I need something formal in writing for work. He writes no lifting over 50lbs and no repetitive movements. Then there are two boxes to check, temporary and permanent. He refused to check either one! I said, "Isn't this SCS permanent?" He says "yes, but I'm not the one to determine if your condition is permanent!" I said, "well who is if your not?" He told me I would have to see an occupational doctor. So, my work took one look at the form and told me they would get back to me in two days.
    That was a week before Thanksgiving last year! They have never called... So, don't be real surprised if you get so many different answers you don't know which way is up when you start asking doctors about SCS and restrictions. The reason I did not take a referral from my PM for the occupational doctor is that if work requests it they pay. If I take a referral, I pay!

Sorry about the long post. I'm not having a good day, hope post makes sense. not sure it is going to be much help to you though!
  • I went back to doing Yoga and lifting weights and ripped my anchors out doing so. After having to repair this, the doc asked that I refrain from doing Yoga and real intense stretching. Lifting weights is no problem as long as I'm careful not to stress the IPG. Mine is in my back right upper buttock area.

I had discussed moving my IPG when the doc had to do the other repairs, and he said he has had more patients with issues related to the IPG placement in the abdomen than in the upper buttock.

There's really no good "play book" for what a person can or cannot do once they have an SCS implanted. It's something a person really winds up finding out for themselves. Common sense goes a long way towards helping out.

As wrambler pointed out, the wires themselves will scar in where they are running from the IPG to the leads. So if you constantly pull them loose from the area they adhere to, it will cause pain and inflammation. The strain relief loops are there to keep the leads from being yanked and the anchors also provide the security barrier for that.

When these systems were designed, they were designed for people who had lost the ability to function. The fact that they have been so successful in allowing people to return to doing more active things, is something that the industry is having to play "catch up" with in regards to design. Greater flexibility and durability of leads and size of IPG's has been a part of the "upgrades".

When a doc says "just go out and live your life", it is meant in all sincerity. No one really knows and our docs and reps learn through us and our experiences that we share with them.

If you tell yourself that you can no longer do things, well you will fulfill that prophecy real quick. If you try and see where you can and cannot get away with things, then you will have more success regaining a meaningful life.

I do things that aren't in the "play book" and I develop new plays that work for me all the time. I can tell when I have reached a limit and I back off.

Go out and have fun and do whatever you can.