Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

j,howies XLIF Guinea Pig Surgerey Wk. 5

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Because I didn't I didn't do this in journal form rather than individual weeks. I need to maybe be a little repetitive about what the XLIF surgery is. It is a lateral entry, minimal invasive surgery. Done from the side rather than front or rear. And it's done on a x ray table. With a new nerve monitoring system called Nero vision. You can get all the information you want by typing XLIF into the spine health search box at the top of the page.
I'm a little late on the 5 wk. report. I had it done and was ready to post when I bumped the mouse, and poof! gone! So I had my panties in a bunch for a few days!with a minimum
at 5 wks. I'm starting the day with stretches and a 45 to50 min walk. And walking 30 or more min. 2 more times. The infection that I had opposite the surgery site, on the interior of the SCS, IPG, site is gone now and so is that pain. the pain that I now have from the surgery is bearable with a minimal amount of meds. I have actually cut out all of the post surgery meds. and I'm just taking the meds. that I have been on for the chronic pain prior to the surgery. I'm more and more impressed with this new type of surgery. The healing time is fast. And I've regained most of my mobility. And if you remember, at 7 days I showered myself without my shower chair and completely dressed myself with the exception of putting on my socks. And at 10 days I could do the socks. The most important thing to me, ( having mucho permanent nerve damage from previous surgeries) Is NOT 1 NERVE WAS DAMAGED. And no muscles were cut!
Good luck, Jim :D
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• I am so glad you are doing well!!!!!!

• Another success story. So good to hear of them.
  • So glad you are doing well.
    I have to look to see what nerve monitoring I had for my revision. They said it's used for audio/ear surgery but they hooked me up to what was similar to EKG combined with Accupuncture on my revision.

I had little dots (scabs) from where they monitors were hooked up on my legs back, head. I need to find out if it's the same because I swear it is why I didn't hurt that much after surgery.

The monitoring was to allow the surgeon to focus on surgery while special nerve monitoring team watch to see if the nerves were firing to notify the surgeon to adjust his approach.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Try this for information, click patient resources on top.
    Then click nerve safety on the left.

http://www.lateralaccess.org/patient/neurovision/
    Good luck, Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Jim,
    thanks...this helps. My doctor does MI TLIFs but not sure about XLIFs.

He did do nerve monitoring and I have to look at the paperwork to see what he used (if it says it) or ask him. I was talking to the guy that started hooking me up before surgery and he was explaining it to me more but in the hecticness of the surgery I forgot to ask him the product name.

I swear it made a difference in my recovery and how much less pain I am in post surgery.

I'll ask at my 3/23 follow up appt.
  • So good to hear things are going so well Jim.Wishing you continued success!! Mark
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Thanks Mark, And DNice, I found out there are at least two different ways of nerve monitoring. And at least two companies that make them. The one you spoke of and the one that was used on me are different. And made by different companies. My surgeon uses a fluoroscopic surgery table with x ray and a nerve monitoring probe that picks up the nerve signals and sends them to a screen. And a technician reads it and guides the surgeon
    Either one is a major step forward in medical technology. Because they are able to avoid hitting or cutting the nerves. And I'm sure that's why you had less pain and me as well. KEEP THE TECHNOLOGY GOING!
    good luck, Jim
  • Terrific to hear that you're doing so well. I bet you're enjoying walking again. For me, being able to walk without all that nerve pain was freedom !!

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
advertisement