Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home!! Sorry for late update.

OpieOOpie Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had the TLIF L5S1 on the 16th. Scheduled for noon, didn't get in untl 2pm. Was in recovery by a little after 4pm. WOW!! Just over 2 hrs. Purple screws (go Vikings)and PEEK cage. Surgeon said other than scar tissue from previous decompressions, everything went great. I had no pain in recovery. Doc said he gave an Interthecal (?) of morphine, and it was to last about 18hrs. Had PCA of dilaudid, only pressed the button before I got out of bed to head to the bathroom. Barely needed it.

On Wednesday night, the 17th, they took me off the PCA and put me on oral percocet, 5-325mg, 2 every 4 hrs, and Oxycontin, 10 mg CR, 1 or 2 every 12 hrs. Worked great, no pain. Was up walking around and on Friday morning, the 19th, was doing 9 stairs without much of a problem. Sent me home that afternoon.

Home has been terriffic so far! I am probably 70% self sufficient, still can't do everything for myself and most likely won't for a while. Satin sheets, OMG! Didn't really think about how much better they would be before the surgery, but now, can't even imagine not having them for ease of getting in/out of bed and rolling on my side. Yesterday, Friday the 26th, was taken off the Percocet and given Vicodin, 7.5-500, to be taken 1 or 2 every 4-6 hours. So far, I have been able to take 1 every 4, and do the Oxycontin 2 pills during the day and 1 at night.

I am so surprised (and thrilled) at how little pain I have had. A lot of people are scared before fusion surgery (as was I ) so I really wanted to put out a post on a successful surgery with a lot of positives. Also, I have not had any leg or back pain (except of the actual surgery of course) since waking up in recovery. I couldn't be happier.

• this is so great!
    Did they do nerve monitoring on you?

I'm asking b/c I had nerve monitoring for my revision microdiscectomy and I swear it is why I had nearly no pain post op. Was your TLIF, MI or regular? I know that nothing is minimally invasive about a fusion but I do know MI makes less muscle disruption.

It's just so good to hear positive stories! Thanks for coming here. I hope you come back to post more.

I'm optimstic I can avoid a fusion...if not for ever, for at least 5 years with this revision but I won't know for several more weeks if the surgery worked.

Anyhow...keep us posted. We all need to hear positive stories like this!!!!
  • HI Dean :)

Oh this is just super great news all around ! I am thrilled for you ! =D>
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • No nerve monitoring. Also regular TLIF, incision is about 5-6 inches long.

Thanks for the replies. I will keep posting, as this has really been a great site with wonderful information and encouragement.

I would have posted earlier but the only negative (if you can really call it a negative) is that for about a week I could not stay focused long enough to type. I tried reading books or sending emails, and in less than 5 minutes, had to stop. May have been the drugs, or whatever, but over that now so trying to catch up.

So glad to hear such a great outcome so far! Glad to see that you also realize that you are still healing and are leaving the extra 30% of things you can't do on your own alone for now.

Keep up the great healing!
  • Dean...I'm so impresssed about the fact that it was regular TLIF and no nerve monitoring AND purple screws...something about that is just cool. Though I'd have to pick Giant's Blue!

I totally understand the focus thing.
    For my revision, I brought a book, crossword, word search, and my BB with some games. I couldn't even focus on TV for the first few days. Glad you are doing good...looking forward to more updates!
  • Its great to hear your story. Just don't over do it.

Hope you to stay pain free

• for sharing your very encouraging story. It is so helpful for people like me, who are facing fusion surgery in 3 weeks time!! Horrid to even say that.

I really hope that your great recovery continues.
  • I think the lack of focus is due to the meds. I don't think my eyes focuses properly for the first two weeks after my fusion.

And, I am delighted you like the satin sheets. I always put them at the top of my list of needs and I know some people think I'm crazy, but they can make such a difference!! I just located mine from my previous surgery and have them washed and ready to go!

Keep up the good work, and remember not to get too frisky! Sometimes patients feel so good that they do way more than they should...and end up living to regret it.

• <:P <:P <:P <:P

Thanks for sharing your after surgery story with us. It's so nice to hear good news.

Don't overdo it! Pretend you're an egg and don't crack yourself up!

Happy healing,

• Great news!! I'm so glad you are doing so well! Try not to over do it. I wish you continued success!

• Hi Dean

Wonderful to hear you're doing so well. especially after a TLIF. Keep taking things steadily and walk as much as you're able to. Isn't it incredible to be able to walk relatively pain free!! Have a care with sitting - not too long at any one time.

Looking forward to hearing how you're going as the days and weeks go by.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008