Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tomorrows the Day

tonyanwisconsinttonyanwisconsin Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well at 8am tomorrow I will be in surgery. I'm not a nervous person by nature but feel a kind of weird when I think about it too much. Sometimes being a nurse backfires. Because I remember taking care of people post op on the floor after these surgeries and they were miserable...lol..
Planning to get the last few things done around the house today. Have to be at the hospital at 5:30am. I tried to get all of my home supplies ordered and in place last week but was told there is a nurse at the hospital that will take care of that. Once again I am jumping the gun because I know how things work..lol...I called the DME company and found out what was covered by my insurance then just called the MD office with a list of things I wanted. I guess they don't work like that. Trying to be proactive got me nowhere.
So I ask for all you prayers. I don't have a laptop so wont be able to post until next weekend. Will be in the hospital until Friday.

Ok guys can read no further..I have a question for the ladies that may be TMI for guys. Did any of you have the monthly friend during your surgery? Mine is coming anyday and that stresses me more than anything.

Thanks,
Tonya
advertisement

Comments

• Tonya..I know the feeling of knowing too much cuz I too am a nurse. I didn't think I was too nervous but starting to feel too real. I am leaving for NYC today and have my pre-op stuff done tomorrow. I will be praying for you tomorrow. Remind me what approach you were having done? I thought you were the other 360 girls but sometimes get confusing. Did you give your own blood ahead? They did not give me any instructions to but now wondering if I should have. Will look foward to hearing from you post op. Lynette
    Lynette
  • Hi Lynette,

I am having a posterior approach lumbar fusion of L4-S1. I did give my blood ahead of time. My doctor recommended it and sent the order to the blood center. It seems like I had many appointments before surgery. I had the appt with the surgeon, then the blood donation, then my preop with my PCP, then had to drive 45min away to give blood and urine to the hospital where I am having the surgery.. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well..

Tonya
  • I know the feeling of alot pf appts. My first appt to NYC was for the second opinion, then once I decided it took almost 3 months to get on this surgeons sched. Then 2 weeks ago I had my first round of appts with a neurologist, internist and had to have a ct scan at HSS. This round is with the vascular surgeon, my pre-op tests at the hospital and then to my surgeons office to have a mandatory spine class and to be fitted for my brace. NYC is a 3 hr drive for me. There is a good neuro group here but my gut just kept telling me to have it done there so I went with my gut...What kind of supplies did you get for home...did you get a hospital bed? I didn't don't really have room.

Lynette
    Lynette
  • I hope all goes well with surgery tomorrow. I will say a prayer for you hoping you get well and less pain soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• What is a preop with your PCP??
    I feel like such a novice here; so many things that I don't know. But I am learning fast!!

I wish you all the best tomorrow, along with Licas3 and Keano16.

I think that JuliaA's surgery has now moved to 2nd March.

Hope to hear from you all when you are up to it. By the time I have my surgery on 19th, you should all be starting to feel a bit better.
  • Jelly-a preop is an appt.a few days before your surgery-they do blood work,ekg,urine sample,go over your meds with you--a last minute check to see if you are ready for surgery
  • You'll do fine without a hospital bed. It's been my experience on this forum that few people get them. I moved a twin bed into our den, just because I wanted to be on the first floor, near everything I would need, and so I would be on the same floor as my big dogs who are not allowed upstairs. More important, to me anyway, is having a satin sheet so it is easy to reposition yourself in the bed.

Also, it is not that common to give blood ahead of spine surgery. The complications requiring a blood transfusion are very rare, so most surgeons don't bother with requiring it or even suggesting it.
  • OK Gentlemen, you will probably want to skip reading this one. Tonya, bring your own "feminine hygeine products" to the hospital. They do have them but you may not like them. I would stick with pads only (good grief, I hate those things) because the other option will be too difficult to do. Trying to be a bit delicate, in case any guys are reading this, some people (even women) are very squeemish about the whole topic.
    Hope that was helpful and good luck with your surgery,
    lisa
  • Good luck and prayers will be said for you before tomorrow. I wish I could help you on the female question but I have been fortunate and surgery aligned well...

It sounds like you are all prepared and now just need to relax with family as best possible for the rest of the afternoon.

Hugs and good luck!
  • :D

Sending you speedy recovery wishes! My favorite person to see on the morning of surgery is the anestheseologist (SP?) -- my drug connection (LOL!) Can't wait for the pre-op happy juice so I don't have to feel nervous anymore.

I'll keep you in my prayers and I know with God on your side, you'll do just fine.

I always send some of his O:) O:) O:) O:) to watch over my SH friends.

We'll look forward to hearing from you in a week or so.

Take good care of yourself,

Judy
  • I will be getting a hospital bed so I can be downstairs. I don't want to be in my room upstairs all the time. We will just have to move our loveseat in the dining room for a while. All of our bedrooms are on the 2nd floor. A PCP is a primary care physician. Sorry I just get use to using the shortened version. My pre op is a physical that anyone having surgery is required to have. It is done by your regular doctor and he or she "clears" you for surgery. Well I went with my best friend this evening and bought some loose shirts and a few jammie pants. Also bought some flushable wet wipes..this should be interesting. lol...Has anyone heard of a bottom buddy? It is suppose to help you reach areas that are hard to if you can't reach. Had to laugh when my friend sent me a link to that. I'm only 36 years old and having to use some of these home medical devices has been humbling.

Tonya
  • a bottom buddy? I wish I invented that.

Yes humbling indeed even at 40. But I think in a way, it helps put life in perspective and has most of us here appreciating things in life than many take for granted.

Smart on the bed in the 'living' area...it'll be nice to have the option to be in 2 different rooms for some variety during recovery.

Best wishes!
  • Good Luck tommorow. I have a hospital bed in our den. I couldnt lay flat before surgery and still cant. So it makes it easier as my hubby doesnt have to deal with my sleep probelms. I am sometimes awake until 2 or longer. I have to get up sometimes, just to get moving to help spasms or leg aches. After surgery it was really nice. ONly about 5 steps to bathroom. Also friends who stopped didnt have to see me in the bedroom. As you cant sit for only eating or bathroom, it gives you a place where people can sit in chairs and you are comfy. As I said, Good Luck and look forward to seeing you post when you are up to it! Love, Robin
  • DNice said:
    a bottom buddy? I wish I invented that.

Yes humbling indeed even at 40. But I think in a way, it helps put life in perspective and has most of us here appreciating things in life than many take for granted.

Smart on the bed in the 'living' area...it'll be nice to have the option to be in 2 different rooms for some variety during recovery.

Best wishes!

No kidding I just googled the bottom buddy that thing would have been great about 3 weeks ago. Wish I had invented it too.

Good Luck tonyawisconsin, i'm sure you will do fine. ;)
advertisement