Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Change of the Pain...Silly questions...

jsirabellajjsirabella Posts: 311
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello All,

I have to admit that it seems that the epidurals/combined with some PT have really taken away the feeling of the sciatica. In the beginning it felt like a weakness in my legs combined with a sensation that was running through them pretty much all the time and than after a while it would just explode it to a big muscle spasm. Well most of that is gone.

It seems though now it has become just straight inflammation. I never really had inflammation to this extent. I do not understand that. I can feel it anywhere including my calves especially in the morning. Today it was on my left calf straight into a toe. I was able to walk but man it felt like I broke a toe? Does it make any sense that the pain can go into a the toe?

I do not know if this is a good sign or bad sign and it seems to have really started when my thoracic started to act up again. I know they are not suppose to be connected but it feels like the pain is running down my side straight into me hips. Does that make any sense?

In the past I really could not put my hands on my thighs for too long. It would spasm after a while. Back than and still now if I put my hand on it I can feel a pulse. Is that a pulse from my heart or is that the nerve pulsing?

Well any help appreciated but if anyone has had these experiences let me know.

• Hmmm....I'm not sure I fully understand but some of what you are experiencing sounds familiar.

Have you had any surgery or just injections?
    I'm just asking for my own knowledge.

I've never had injections but I've been on oral steroids to help with inflammation. I understand the calf pain...as a matter of fact when I got it, I never associated it with nerve pain until I herniated my disc and realized that it was a 'symptom' that I should have been listening to.

I do think you can have pain calf to toe. Is it your big toe or little toe? If big toe....I wonder if you are having some plantars fasciitus. If it's the little toe, probably more nerve pain since it's more calf to outer toe at least from my experience.

I wish I had ideas on how to alleviate it.
    My thoughts are icing or ibuprofin but I hate to offer that not knowing your background.
    The other thing is can you flex/extend your foot? Like point toes upward and then downward to see if it that helps? I've also heard if it's more plantar's fasciitus, rolling a golf ball under your foot arch can help.

As for your hip pain...have you gone to PT?
    There is an exercise if it's 'true' tightness of the hip. I can't describe it here but would be hesitant without knowing exactly where it is starting from. But hip tightness is not uncommon with back issues b/c you may be compensating in your walk/gait which is causing the hip flexor to tighten.

I would suggest seeing if you can get to PT or call your doctor for some suggestions.

I wish I could help more.
This discussion has been closed.