Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

iliac creast bone graft..Have you had this done?

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all. Just wanted to get some feedback on this topic. For some reason in my original consult I spaced this part. I know using own bone is usually the best option. He uses this with the bmp and makes a paste with this. Is the graft site much of a problem post op?? I had to sign 4 different consents!!One major surgical consent, one for the use of the BMP, one for pedicle screw fixation, and of coarse one that I will pay the balance! So much information. Then there is the bowel pre 2 days prior with mag citrate and the clear liquids for 2 days, betidine scrub to front and back night before and day of, I guess it's really coming. I did get my brace ahead of time and it is nice and compact and only have to wear basically when out of the saftey of your home or just use common sense.1 week from today!!! Lynette

• Hi lynette,

It easy to miss all that information going by just so much to take in at one time. I have used iliac hip on two different occasions. For myself it wasn't to bad. I have had it taken from both the front and back of the hip. If given the choice I wouldn't definitely select the posterior side. I think the anterior is just a bit more painful as far as getting on and off the potty or in and out of bed. If your surgery is posterior I would imagine they will be doing from the posterior side. At my two week check up that surgery was all healed up. The waiting time for surgery is more than likely the hardest as your mind starts wondering and checking everything and it goes on and on. So i say try not to stress out to much, but I know easier said than done. Anyway good luck next week and be sure to post as soon as you are able. Take care.

• Sounds like you are becoming prepared. I have no idea what to expect at my pre-op next week. I wonder if the things that you mention above are because you are having a 360 fusion, or do all fusion surgeries need the bowel pre and betidine scrub?

I makes me realise how little I know!