Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Overdoing it

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All,

Many of you know that I am recovering from a 2 level ALIF. I try to not do too much each day, but yesterday was a doozy. Now I'm paying for it. You'd think I'd know better since this is my second fusion.

I read other posts about the same thing and I try to remind myself to take it slow, and I usually do. However, yesterday the stars were aligned to be rough on me.

Mon. night we picked up a new dog to foster: that was a disaster because she decided she was going to rule my sweetheart (Shy "Love Machine"). She was actually nipping at him and fighting him. At one point he was hiding under the dining room table or hiding in a corner. It was horrible and very stressful.

The next morning I had to get the younger one to dance.
Then home to get the foster dog, put her in the car. Dropped her off, then on to the DMV because my license had expired. Then to the Pharmacy.

I had about 1/2 hour to breathe, the realized we all had haircuts scheduled as soon as the oldest got home. By the time my hubby got home I crashed in bed, only to get up to eat something and go back to bed. This morning I laid on the couch for two more hours and still feel like I could stay in bed all day.

If you are still reading this and not bored silly, take care of yourself, doing too much will knock you out big
time. I don't remember this happening my last fusion, at all, but then I "only" had a toddler and help all day for three months due to the no lifting. Now there are different responsibilities.

Wishing you all a good day,
Lisa
advertisement

Comments

• Don't you just hate over doing it.I guess we all think we are superman or wonder women.But the next day we find out we aren't. Just like they say live and learn.But do we ever learn not to overdo it.
    So be kind to youself and take it easy.

Jim

• Hi Lisa.....I did the same thing yesterday and I am drained today. Not moving too far off the couch today. :( It's so hard when life still has to go on and you still have responsibilites. Wishing you a wonderful healing day!! Tina
  • I know you can do too much so easily, then wonder why so tired/in pain the next day.I try to keep a positive mood, but some days just stink and run you down.
    Tomorrow will be a better day!!
  • It does get hard not to overdo it. Life goes on even if we are recuperating and things have to get done. At almost 4 months post surgery, I started driving last week. Today, driving to my surgeon's office to pick up some samples of cymbalta and had to slam on the brakes when some wonderfully, efficient driver missed her exit and cut me off at almosot 50 miles an hour! (Do you hear all the sarcasm there? LOL) My neck responded immediately. Now I'm needing to take some Vicoden or Tramadol but they have strong contraindications with Cymbalta. YIKES.

As hard as it is, take the next few days to rest. That's my plan too. We'll get past this....eventually. LOL.\

Yvonne
  • It does get hard not to overdo it. Life goes on even if we are recuperating and things have to get done. At almost 4 months post surgery, I started driving last week. Today, driving to my surgeon's office to pick up some samples of cymbalta, I had to slam on the brakes when some wonderfully, efficient driver missed her exit and cut me off at almosot 50 miles an hour! (Do you hear all the sarcasm there? LOL) My neck responded immediately. Now I'm needing to take some Vicoden or Tramadol but they have strong contraindications with Cymbalta. YIKES.

As hard as it is, take the next few days to rest. That's my plan too. We'll get past this....eventually. LOL.\

Yvonne
  • is that it does not even have to be anything extraordinary that causes the problem, sometimes it is just about getting thru a normal day...the pain can get so wicked!!

Lisa and Yvonne, we are still early into the recovery process. I have to remind friends and family of that fact, since they think I should be off and running without a hitch. I just took a great photo of my xrays. It is pretty impressive to see screws and rods, even for the novice, and most people can appreciate.

Lisa
  • Lisa:

Ive done it several times, going to the mall thinking walk a ton then be in bad pain that night. I talked to my doc and he said, take small trips and move up to longer and longer. I seem like I just go for the gusto, and I'm hurting afterwards. Part of having a fusion, like today, I felt great this morning, but later on pain set in and now I don't feel that good. Kind of like 2 steps forward 3 steps back. ;)
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I'm guilty too. And not for a good reason. But lIFE GOES ON!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I feel a bit better, knowing that even us non-newbies(what are we: spine veterans? is there another term for us?) Anyway, thanks for your support, I can tell you right now I am still ready for another 12+ hours of sleep. Could drift off right now but its a late night for hubby working, so I have bedtime duty. May be I will listen to my own advice when the 3rd fusion happens to my neck (probably 3 levels).

Take care all,
    Lisa
advertisement