Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MelWMMelW Posts: 427
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Pain Medications
So my doctor wants to switch me from my Prozac to Lexapro because my depression and anxiety (I have battled anxiety for ever and depression since my brother passed when he was 17 yrs old :-() have gotten much worse with all of the pain I am experiencing. My question is whether anyone has tried Lexapro?

I have been doing some research and it is really kind of scaring me. I keeping reading about people gaining a ton of weight on it, like 30 pounds in 8 months or less. i know that when people have bad experiences that is all you hear about but it is freaking me out. I have always been fairly thin [5'7" @ 120 lbs] my adult life, and ever since my surgery and pain, I have put on about 15 pounds. I needed to put on a few pounds but now I can not lose weight to save my life! My hubby bought me an elliptical for my birthday, and because the PT and doc said it would be much less impact on my back, neck, and knees, and I have tried to work out on it 4-5 times a week, if I can tolerate it. I can't lose a pound already as it is and I eat healthy and watch my calorie intake most of the time. I am deathly afraid of gaining anymore weight. I had an eating disorder before, at 5'7" I weighted in at a whopping 89 lbs when I was 16-18 years old. And i already have enough going on let alone having to worry about my weight too.

Anyone that has had an experience with Lexapro please let me know, any info would be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks!

• My son-in-law switched to that about 6 months ago and it seems to be helping him much more than his previous anti-depressant. He has not gained any weight, he is a muscle man and hasn't changed a bit since being on it. I asked my daughter and she said the biggest change she has noticed is he appears to be more finicky about what he eats than he was before. Of course, take into account she is not the premiere chef either. LOL Hope that helps.
  • Lexapro is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and is especially effective for anxiety and panic disorders. As SSRIs go, Lexapro has fewer side effects, including weight gain. People seem to do well on it.

I would think, since you are aware of the possibility for weight gain, you could avoid it altogether with careful diet management. Almost all these drugs can cause weight gain....this one has the reputation of weight gain being less of a problem than for other drugs in the same class.
  • Well I went to go pick up my script yesterday and found that it is quite expensive, even with my insurance so he changed it to Celexa, I think. From what I have read, Celexa is where Lexapro came from so it is similar but not as potent.

I am going to give it a try.

Thanks for the responses.
  • I've been on 10mg of Lexapro and just recently raised to 20mg since last Aug.. I've gained 20 pounds since then and take in from 1200 to 1500 calories per day. I was doing VERY well with my weight loss prior to starting this med. Yes, it's helped a bit, but not worth it (for me).