Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Staples and swelling after Microdiscectomy

Amanda S YanisAAmanda S Yanis Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So one of my biggest fears for this surgery came true when I woke up and had staples in my back. I've scared to death that it will hurt bad when they take them out!! Plus it just looks nasty. It seriously looks like I have a belly button in my back from the way my scar is. I don't think that is supposed to be normal, but maybe it is for a 'fat person'?? Any advice on how much it hurts to have them out, or someone who also has a second belly button would be appreciated.

My other problem is that I keep waking up really swollen. Sometimes it is my hands, or my face, or my ankles, etc. But it is pretty bad swellling sometimes. My left hand cant even make a fist because it hurts to bad.

Ok I have to be done with this now, as I'm dozing off while typing LOL. I hope this makes sense but if not, I will be back tomorrow to correct it/answer any questions. Goodnight!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Don't freak out. There is no pain when they take the staples out. and after they do they put a bunch of little pieces of special tape on the incision so it won't scar too bad.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • The staples really don't hurt much, you might feel a slight prick from time to time, but they use a special device that straightens the staples to pull out, so they literally pull straight out of you, they don't hook out.
    With regards to the swelling, I would call your doctor in the morning as it sounds like you have a bit of fluid on board. No need to panic, but I would definitely call him tomorrow.
    Take care
  • So now I have a new promblem (or two). I have had a sore tongue since surgery, and it feels like it is getting worse. It has little red bump in the back and almost feels like it is spreading down the back of my throat. I jsut wnder if that could be from the breathing tube they had in me during the surgery? He did tell me, prior to going in, that I had a small mouth and he may chip some teeth going on!! So I guess he could have scraped my tounge, right?? But then I have this fear that it could be thrush, since i already have a yeast infecton. My mind is just a mess.

Now also, my scar on my back goes in towards my stomach in the middle. It looks like I have an extra belly button back there. That just worries me because To me, it just doesnt lool Right

Ok that is all for now, as I keep dozing off anywyas.
  • suggests that it is thrush but if you're at all concerned call the doctor.
    Did you get the thrush tablets we suggested you get?
    Without a visual of your scar it's hard to see, you really should call your doctor if your worried.