Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Radio Frequency Surgery

msbettyboopmmsbettyboop Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am scheduled for RF on L1 S5 at the end of this month (March) and have questions about the pain returning in 12-14 months. Has anyone had the pain return? If so, what was the severity of pain, worse than before or tolerable? Would you (or did you) have the procedure again? Will I have to do this every year for the rest of my life?

• have this done about 1 x a year. The RF or rhizotomy will kill the nerve. It takes about 9-12 months for the nerve to grow back and generate pain again. That is why I have to get it done about once a year.

This procedure has helped me more than any other that I have tried. Just do not expect the relief to be immediate as it does take 4-6 weeks for the nerve to die.

I hope that this helped you and if you have more questions please feel free to ask.

Good luck.
  • You may also try chemical (injection) nerve ablation if the RF works. The challenge is that more than one nerve may be contributing to the pain and nerve fibers delivering noxious signals tend to grow back over time.
  • I had one done in 2008,it did work,but the pain has come back,i am going to have another one done on the 23rd,i had good pain relief for about 2 years,mine was done on the l-5,s-1.....
  • I had this done five weeks ago and I am doing very well. Prior to the procedure I was in bed 20 hours a day and loosing hope on getting better, now I am up and about and feeling pretty good.

I guess its fairly common for the pain to increase for a week or two after the procedure due to inflamation. I was already feeling better after three days, but I did deal with pretty bad nerve pain on and off and about week three I had a bad itching / burning feeling in my lower back as the nerves died. This stopped after four days or so and I have been doing much better since then.

If I over do it I end up getting muscle spasms, but I'm hoping that as I strengthen these muscles this will go away. I am now part of the family again and my two year old daughter is bouncing off the walls because she is so excited that I am actually up and playing with her now. Hope all goes well and keep us informed.....Mitch
  • I had one done in August 2008,it did work,but the pain has come back,i am going to have another one done some time next month. My PM doctor said it is effective for the back pain but not the leg pain. I am going to him next Wednesday for my second transforaminal injection for the leg pain. I had two injections in November and it is time again.

I was scared to death the first time I had the RFA and now I just consider it another procedure.
This discussion has been closed.