Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'M STARVING ALREADY!!!

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well it's down to the nitty gritty and not liking it one little bit. It was a really busy week,my last day I had to orient a float nurse that would be covering for me...it was hard enough to stay focused and have to explain in one day what I do...she does't look like any ball of fire so thats good in a way so they can't wait till I get back. I cried everytime someone gave me a hug..

I am dealing with the lingering effects of the bowel prep, drank 2 bottles of the mg citrate today..was really nauseated for a while but now the hungar pangs are starting and the clear liquids just aren't gonna cut it. It's gonna be a long haul till tues am.

Leavin for the Big Apple in the early afternoon, will travel 3 hrs to my nieces and leave out car there to save the $40.00 a day parking. They will take us to the train and we will take the train in. My Neices husband will drive the car in for us on the day we are discharged and the we will drive home. If I have any complications or concerns that I don't want to be 3 hrs away I will stay at her house.

I'm almost packed...just hard to know exactly what to take but I'll figure it out.

I'm not going to have a laptop but do have a blackberry with internet but I'm sure I will not be able to navigate those buttons on drugs!!!Maybe I'll get my daughter to post.
Thanks for you thoughts and prayers. Will post when I can. Lynette
Lynette
advertisement

Comments

• Awe,hang in there Lynette! I don't blame you for being hungry, I would be too. Just knowing that I couldn't eat would make me want to!

Your day is almost here! As someone said to me before my day, "we're waiting for you on the other side! Hurry and join us!" Just a few more days and you will be a your path to a painless life with the ability to do all those activities you haven't been able to!

Be sure to pack some roomy comfy clothes. Your skin will thank you! I bought one size too big, but I had too much swelling, so my hubby had to go out and get some PJ bottoms two sizes too big. You could get both and take back what you don't use!

I also found it useful to use small tupperwear contaniors , mark them for bedtime, midnight, 4am, 8am and sort my meds into them. We set a timer for every 4 hours, he wakes me up, hands me the cont. and falls back to sleep. It really helps!

Take care, we are here to support you and get you through these next 2 days! Shari
  • Lynette,

Best wishes. Yes, just them telling you not to eat makes you hungry. Sounds like you are prepped and have all your plans and plan B's. ready.

We will all be praying for you and can be patient until you are ready to post an update. For now, it's all about keeping yourself calm as possible and allowing others to worry for you.

Gentle Hugs!
    Denise
  • HI Lynette :H

I don't blame you for being hungry - heck I have a horrible time doing a after midnight until morning blood tests is done fast lol ;)

I will be thinking of you and will mention you in my prayers ♥

Please take care of yourself !!!! :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Every time I've had to prep for surgery. I starve to death. But a whole bowl of jello is allowed and fills the whole! (for a while) You'll be on the other side b-4 you know it!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I hope all goes well with surgery and recovery. Saying a prayer for you also. Try to get some jello and chicken broth in with clear fluids. Well you know being a nurse... Take care and post when you're able. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Lynette,

Good luck with surgery. I am always hungry when someone tells me I can't eat. But in your case I think the bowl cleansing is doing it job as well. Here is a good one for you. I have this fetish for gum and trust me I have chewed just about every flavor type you name it. Me and that gum issue goes a long way back, as far back as school and getting swats, suspension you name it. Well on one of my surgeries I thought I will chew this gum the night before and have all the flavor out, i mean really what is gum once it is all chewed out. So in the morning i popped that piece in and was happy as can be to have my gum. Lets just say the doctors didn't find my gum chewing amusing either, you would have thought I ate a steak breakfast. I did end up having the surgery and when I awoke the nurse saved my chewed gum.....lol. The point of the gum was to keep me from thinking of food or something to drink. Oh i did have fresh with me that I promptly put in my mouth. Anyway good luck with surgery and let us know how you make out as soon as you can. Take care.
  • Good vibes and a speedy recovery to you Lynette!!
  • Hi Lynette

Thinking of you and hope your surgery and recovery goes well. The bowel prep isn't the best, especially when you have to drink two bottles of it!! I had to go to the hospital the day before and then only had to have one bottle by 4 pm. They did give me some clear soup and jelly and so I didn't feel too bad overnight.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thanks everyone for your thoughts and concerns. The prep is still working this morning...hope is stops soon so I don't have issues when traveling!!! Time for jello for breakfast yummm!! See you on the other side! Lynette
    Lynette

• I'll be thinking and praying for you tomorrow.
    Hope all goes well during the surgery and that your post surgical recovery will be smooth and with good pain control. Let's hope that you are one of those who say that the anticipation was far worse than the actual surgery and recovery.

Not long until you join those who are on the other side of surgery and on their way to their new life. I'll see you over there in about 10 days!!
    Oh my, that sounds soooooo scarey!!
  • lynette,
    hope all goes well for you and try enjoying the jello..hope ya can keep us posted..
    you will be in my thoughts n prayers..
    go slow and stay positive..
    you will be eating and a speed recovery soon
    take care
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • I wish you all the best lynette you have been very supported during my recovery I hope all goes well keep us updated on your progress when you can. God bless you.
  • I wish you all the best lynette you have been very supported during my recovery I hope all goes well keep us updated on your progress when you can. God bless you.
  • Looking forward to hear how easy it all was!
    By the way the chewing gum thing is because it increases saliva so you have more in your stomach and can aspirate it, not a good idea.
    But I know you know that Lynette being a nurse.
    Good luck and i'll keep you in my thoughts.
    Kylie
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Best of luck to you. Bring a variety of pillows or blankets in the car for the ride home. I find in my car I need a blanket behind my back. In my hubby's car I am more comfortable but need a small travel pillow behind me with the brace on. Just be prepared.

And BEST of luck to you
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
advertisement