Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 month post-op L4-L5 Fusion Plif w/ DCom

rmickhail2rrmickhail2 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Thinking of you guys and wanted to share my 2 month post-op with you all. As of March 3rd my Dr. said I am cool to lift a little more weight (10lbs) and now I can squat to grab things I drop. He calls it the golfer’s squat. He said I am doing really good and ahead of schedule. He did warn me not to forget that I did go through a major operation and not to overdo it and think I was all better now. I am completely off all pain meds except medicinal marihuana as needed and lyrica a nerve regenerating drug still taken twice daily. I am also still wearing this ultrasound machine on my incision site for 20 minutes a day to help assist with fusion. (Experimental)
On April 7th they will be starting me on physical therapy and it will run for 3 or 4 days per week for 3 months. I guess this will give me the opportunity to get back into shape. Do any of you have any suggestions as far as physical therapy goes?
So I am back to very light work. Using my camera and laptop to do some internet sales. I am glad that I am able to do some of this. I was and still am kind of going nuts not being what I was before the surgery. Not being able to do a job around the house without waiting for someone to show up to help out move something large or anything. But I do feel real good so far about my decision to go ahead and do this. It has been a long 8 years and coming and if I can stay at this pain level and be able to lift heavy again I will be cool with that.
I am grateful for all of you my spine friends. Getting through this was defiantly not possible without you. Your information and kindness has helped me succeed in this. I will continue to check in with you all and let you know how my healing process is going. Take care.

• Hi Rick

Isn't it good to be able to just a little bit more.

I've just commenced physical therapy (at 4.5 months)and the physio started me on one of those exercise balls - have found the mobilising exercises too much which sent me into a big flare, but the stabilising exercises don't give me pain. I've been stretching and walking up until now and can do a few exercises with a light hand weight (1 pound I think). The aim is to strengthen the core muscles.

It'll be interesting to see if the ultrasound assists with fusion for you.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Sounds like you are doing quite well. Physical therapy will teach you exercises to do. Right now, I'm sure your surgeon just wants you to do some walking. I had physical therapy right off and sometimes think it was too soon.

Best wishes,