Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Change in stenosis symptons

doofddoof Posts: 131
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Over the last 4 years I have had 3 laminectomies from L4-5-S1. The symptons have always been pain and numbness in my legs, usually relieved by sitting down or bending forward.

I saw my consultant a couple of months ago and he has said that the stenosis is returning from my original surgery. The symptons seem different this time though as they present themselves when I am sitting or laying down. Has anyone else had this?

I'm due to see the consultant again in April.

• I am guessing that there is some instability in the spine where you had the laminectomies. Whenever there is instability, it is common to develop some spinal arthritis. The ligamentum flavum thickens. Bone spurs grow and there can be changes on the end plates of the vertebrae, among other things. All these things contribute to stenosis.

For these reasons, and others, it is not unusual to have stenosis recur as we age. One way to help prevent all these changes is to have a fusion which will stabilize the segment that is causing the problems.

You can read about stenosis here:
  • Long time since I've seen you here!

Sorry, don't have any info for you. I'm not that smart when it comes to lumbar spines. But, I wanted to say hello. Sorry you are struggling still.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Although I've only had one laminectomy I can relate to what you are saying. My surgery was one year ago and I already have symptoms returning. I also have arthritis in my lumbar spine which I'm told has made my facet joints deteriorate. I have a lot of pain in my back and also pain going down my left leg.

Usually when I lay down and don't move it will ease up. Sitting is another story. I can hardly walk after sitting for any length of time. The sciatica makes it hard to stand up straight and I am usually kind of draging my leg.

I return to PM next Wednesday for another injection and I know its just a matter of time before he tells me its time to see my surgeon again.

All we can do is hope for the best.

• I think I know deep down inside that I am probably staring a fusion in the face. There has to be a limit to the number of times they keep opening up the same area and nibbling away at it.

Hi Cindy - yes I'm still knocking around on here, usually in the background ..... you know how quiet and shy I am!!