Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long to regulate a Medtronics intrathecal Morphine Pump?

HammertimeHHammertime Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Pain Management
I got my medtronic pump implanted 10 weeks ago and the first 3 weeks were amazing! I had a zero pain level for those 3 weeks. When I was living with 7-8 pain level while on 100micl of Fentanyl, 5ml/day of 20mg/ml ethyl Oxydose for breakthrough pain. I was on a myriad of oral and dermal C2's for almost 28 year and had to be off of those for 30 days prior to the installation of the pump, per Dr's orders. Now, the pain has crept back up to a 6-7 and I think the placement of the pump is causing me a lot of pain but the doc will not acknowledge that. It is right on my sacrum where I have no fat to begin with but feels like its resting on the bone. This area was the genesis of my pain from the git go, 30 years ago...We discussed placement prior to installation and was told that this was the only place b/c I have a full colectomy with ileostomy, front right side and was told if it is on the side of the body, the catheters have a tendency to kink and then dont deliver the meds. I know there is some tweaking period that has to take place but I am not allowed to take anything for breakthrough pain which is now chronic again and I can only get pump adjustments every 2-3 weeks because that is what I am told Medtronic allows. I am miserable but am happy to be off the oral meds and was hoping this would be the end all as the first 3 weeks were as well as the trial injection. Any experienced pump users would greatly help! thanks! Robert

• I know of one member who had a pump installed recently and know it tales time to regulate the pump by small increments slowly of up to a year. What is your history if you don't mind sharing? Please share with your Dr. that you're having breath through pain. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN