Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to back pain and the site

FocusFFocus Posts: 59
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in New Member Introductions
I learned about back pain the hard way this last year. I woke up unable to feel my right leg but had no back pain. The ER said that a shot I had recieved irritated the nerve gave me some prednisone and sent me home. 9pm that night I was paralyzed from the waist down and on a lifeflight helicopter. I will say I lucked out my dr. Is literally one of the best nuerosurgeons in the Ft. Worth area and the care I recieve from him and his staff is phenomenal.
I later found out I had ruptured my L5, an annular tear in my L4 and S1 as well together with a case of cuada equina syndrome. 7 hours of surgery later I found that my doc fixed the rupture and left the rest alone because of my age (I'm 30) no fusion for me and has treated me in my opinon appropriately and conservatively.
I had a month stay in the hospital for some intense PT and two months of PT at home. I returned to work 8 weeks later (I'm military) then had a fusion from C5/6 to C6/7 with great success. That's another story.
That's me in a nutshell. Yes I still hurt and just had an epidural injection yesterday so were keeping the fingers crossed. I have been back to work for about three weeks, it's rough but tolerable. I will never be the distance runner I once was but over the last 6 months have become a better father and husband because of the injury. I graduate college in November so we will wait and see what the good Lord has planned for me. Good luck to everyone here keep your faith (as appropriate for you) and your attitude up. I have found we to often are our own worst enemy.
Live one day at a time and do it with no regrets. I hold my head up high with pride to the fact that i wont let my injury beat me.
Lumbar surgery 2009
Cervical fusion C4 to C7 2009
Neurostimulator 2010
Heart ablation 2011
Lumbar fusion L4 to S1 2012 and now L1 2 3 and 4 are split and bulging.

• Welcome to Spine Health. Glad to hear that you are doing better and that this has been a life changing event for the better. Sometimes good things come out of adversity if we are willing to work for it.

Kindest Regards,

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to spine health. It sounds like you've had a rough time of it but have a great attitude. They say what doesn't kill us will make us stronger and there's a lot of truth in that. It's just hard for us to see it that way sometimes.
    I'm glad you're doing so well and hope you continue to do so. Please let us know if we can help you with anything. There are a lot of wonderful people on this site (like "C") who are ready and willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

Take care,
  • I am sorry to hear that you have experienced all of this and at such a young age to boot.

It sounds like you are well on your way to having a productive and full life which is great news.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i want to thank you for your service to our country.. =D> i am sorry to hear you needed such emergency care but the outcome seems to be terrific!! i see a smile on your face and this is always a sign of a successful recovery!! :D good luck to you and yours!! Jenny :)
  • I commend you on your upbeat attitude and managing to return to work so quickly after quite an ordeal.
    I look forward to chatting with you on the forums and getting to know you better.
    How many children do you have and what ages?