Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks post ACDF C6-C7 and partial corpectomy

Morgan26MMorgan26 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all. I am 8 weeks post surgery. I feel useless and want to get back to my old routine. What is the average time most have taken to return to work? I tried to go back last week and am experiencing more pain and tingling. I am so frustrated with myself and am longing to be pain free. It seems like the first few weeks post surgery were so much better. Any words of wisdom?

• HI Morgan,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. You might find more will answer this post in the neck pain forum, even though it is after surgery. As far as your pain and what you are feeling this is quit normal. It seems that during surgery they put so many meds directly in the site that you have lots more relief. Also I am sure you were more relaxed following surgery and now you are increasing your activities like going back to work. Have you spoke with your surgeon about your feeling lack of progress following surgery. One thing you might try is some massage therapy. although I have seen some need a injection to get over the hump as well. Keep in mind your body went through major surgery and it will take time even though the physical scars have healed. However if you don't feel it is right don't hesitate to contact your surgeon either. If there is anything i can do don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and once again welcome to spine-health.
  • Good idea....thought maybe I was in the wrong place. Have been speaking to doctor 1-2 times a week. I went for massage about a month ago. I know it would help if I went back, funds have been so tight. We are trying to free up some funds, so hopefully I can go back this week. Thank you for your response.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. Tam had some great ideas, as always. Another thing, you might want to look in the Recovery area and the sticky about recovery time. Eight weeks out is still pretty early in recovery and it often takes quitea while to feel back to normal.

But as Tam said, it's never a bad idea to contact your surgeon if you feel things aren't progressing the way that they should.

Take care and keep us posted.
  • I fiqured I would go back to work after a couple months of PT, last year. They discontinued my position at the hospital, so I don't have a job to go back too.
    We took a big cut in income, but until I felt better that was on the back burner. I cut coupons, shopped at thrift shops and cut back on any "special" unless it was on sale or I had a coupon. I figure it is my 'job" now.
    I think that it is easier in the beginning post op, because every day is similiar. And then you start to have days you feel better and the next day you don't. That is hard for me, because I think I am finally better, and then I feel terrible.
    Now, I am having a couple good days, even though I feel so tired in the afternoons. I plan rest into the day, that helps.
    Well my 5yo in babbling in the backround so I can't concentrate.
  • I had my ACDF 5-6, 6-7 last July, and I still have some days that I have a bit of pain at the c6-7 area. Sadly, my 4 month post op appointment has been canceled FIVE TIMES!!! I haven't rescheduled in a while, as they've mostly been canceled due to weather and I'm half afraid if I schedule another it'll start to snow LOL!

I just wanted to pop in and put in my 2 cents worth, though. At the beginning of your recovery, it's a lot easier as your doc usually has you on pain meds and is watching you like a hawk. After a couple weeks, however, they start weaning you off and you have to start dealing with a bit more of the pain, and it gets a bit tougher. These are all normal things to go through, but if you feel you're not progressing as you should, call your surgeon's office. Those guys get paid an insane amount of money for the work they do, they can afford a few minutes' time to answer some questions to ease a patient's mind, or to work you in for an extra appointment if they feel it's warranted. It's much better to be safe than sorry with your health involved!

As for the money aspect, this can cause a lot of tension, which can cause a lot of pain in the neck, too. I carry my tension in my right shoulder, and take muscle relaxers regularly to try to keep it controlled. I haven't worked for years, due to health problems, so I don't have to worry about my return date, but we still have the money to worry about. Coupons.com is my friend LOL!

I wish you all the best in your recovery, and hope that you'll find the support here you need!

• Well, I have been back to work for 5 weeks now after taking 12 weeks off. I didn't want to be that long without work (or pay) but I really couldn't do it.

I worked 3 weeks of half days and then eased back into full days. I have a office desk job and while it is not physical, it is the worst pain I have now.

I am giving serious thought to switching careers to something that keeps me up and around more. I feel much better when I am on my feet.

This whole thing has taught me just how unbelievably complex the human body is. I have found that I have gotten outta shape so quickly and my recovery is so slow....

We all heal at different times and with different results. Mine wont be the same as yours.

I can tell you that you are not alone, You have many friends here that do understand what this is like.

I get frustrated having to have someone do things I used to do. But Patience is coming and I am better for it. That doesn't mean that I don't get pissed sometimes when things flare up. I do.

Good luck. Take time.