Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i was told after acdf surgery c5-6 c6-7,i had done in november 2009

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Chronic Pain

• Lily, not sure exactly what you're looking for. I doubt anyone here can answer the questions you have regarding your medical care- it sounds like you need a very good neurosurgeon.

I can, however, say that you do have a life. It might not be the one you expected, but it's a life. I'm betting you still have people who love you, blue skies, trees and flowers, etc. It is possible that the life you had before, with no pain or nerve damage, is not coming back- but that doesn't mean that the life you have now shouldn't be appreciated.

And, I can commiserate with your anger. I don't know whether the doctors did what they should have done in your case. However, in my case, my back is the way it is because both the emergency room and the physiatrist Kaiser sent me to missed the severity of the fracture, and nobody followed up. But there isn't always an outlet for that anger- I have nobody really to sue, it was just a mistake. And sometimes the anger does more harm than good. I'm not telling you it's not an appropriate emotion, but don't let it control your life.

I can really relate to the shock of seeing the x-rays and realizing things are never going to be the same again. But you just have to channel that into doing what needs to be done and learning to live that new life- which may not include all of the activities you used to do, but might include some you never knew you'd enjoy.
  • HAPPYHBMOM, hi i wanted to thankyou for shareing your story with me.Im mad at myself for being so negative,i was told i need surgery cause on my c7 disk fusion had grown to much bone,,an blocked my c7 nerve.im still scaried cause its higher risk for damage to spine.I was told i have to stay 24 hours due to pain,he started to tell me that he will scew 2 holes on each side of my head to hold a hailo .Ive never heard of this before but he said its just there for surgery to pull up spine so he can see to get bone spur off my nerve.I have 2 girls one is 10 yrs an the other is 15yrs,i love my kids both of them an along with my husband have been so good to me.I miss my job i use to take care of poeple with all kinds of different needs like cancer, ms an elderly all ages.I didnt make much but the great feeling i get to but a smile on someone face that is fighting for there life ,an they say i missed u yesterday its not the same .Thanku for your kindness .Thats why i was angry for this second surgery,i hate needed help i feel im the one that gives help an baths feeds listens to the poeple i take care of.After my acdf surgery the place i worked for let me go,i cryied,,i was there for 10 yrs,Im 35 yrs old an i will get threw this,i have alot to live for.Im glad i found this site you an so many others have been so kind ,,Thank you for listening an im here for u just as well. Big Hug

I had ACDF surgery with bone graph c5-6c6-7 november of 2009.Im not better still in pain ,bad neck head an on left side arm pain ,hand cant control movements, on left arm an fingers.I had an EMG test 3days ago an a mri 3d scan.The doctor told me c7 an c6 badley damaged .I meet with surgen in 2 days ..Im scaried!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

I'm sorry that you have to have another surgery. It seems that many of us have had to have multiple surgeries, myself included. Being a spiney is really not a great club to be a member of, but that's what we are, with all the good and bad, regardless.

Right before my ACDF surgery, my surgeon told me that I might find some dried blood on both sides of my head, near the top of my ears, and on the top if my head, as well. And I did find this after surgery. He never told me why, but when I read my operation report, it stated that I had a halo during surgery and that they pulled it with 20 lbs. of pressure to open up enough space to put in the filler in where my discs were removed. So this must be common practice with ACDF surgeries.

I don't have any anger issues, thank goodness. What has happened to me is probably the result of a bad car accident 30 years ago and is just now hitting me hard. My husband and I have talked about the fact that I'll never be who I was before all this started. I know I'll never be 100% who I used to be, but I don't know at what percentage I'll end up in the years to come. But, like Lisa said, I still have loved ones and friends who care, I do what I can and have learned that I can be happy with my limitations. I occasionally overdo things and end up with a day in my recliner, but it can always be worse.

I'm sorry to welcome you to the spiney club, but we are really blessed to have this place to come where everyone understands how we feel, what we go through, how bad the pain can be and are there for us. The members here can understand the things that our friends and family simply can't because they've never walked in our shoes. Being able to vent here takes some of the burden off our loved ones who don't know how to comfort us because they don't know what it's like to be a spiney.

Take care of yourself, and please keep us posted.
  • I do sometimes want to hit the rewind button, saying "if I had just..." But that's just so counterproductive- time only goes one direction, and from one moment to the next so many things can happen.

But, yes, it's scary and depressing and it is hard to cope with. And we have the added stress of managing all of these difficult medical decisions :( It's... well, it's hard.
  • "if only" too many times, so I have stopped doing that! Doesn't really help.

You can get stuck in that place, it's usually dark in there too!

I knew the day I went mountain bike riding that I was exhausted, I had worked 80 hours that week, on Saturday I was riding with my boys and a dog bit me...
    Had to do the police, Dogcatcher, whole nine yards, no of course the dogs had no shots and I had to get a rabies booster!(later on though)

The following day, Sunday. I was exhausted already and the boys, 13 & 15, begged me to ride again, so I relented and went. On the third downhill run, over the handlebars, fractured vertebrae, C7, T3, T4, T5, right clavicle shattered into 4 pieces. I ended up here, four years later.

The funny thing is, that after 4 years and knowing I am not and never will be "quite right" again. I really want to ride down that D**N mountain again, just one time...

We just have to take it one day at a time, some days are better then others.
  • Wrambler said:

You can get stuck in that place, it's usually dark in there too!
    I don't know why, but that quote struck me as particularly profound.

It's kind of like Alice and Wonderland (the book not the movie). You fell down the rabbit hole, and although there is beauty here there are also lots of scary things that don't seem to make sense to you.

• Hi everyone. I wanted to fill you all in on my surgery and how things went. I went in for my surgery for my left C5, C6, and C7 lateral laminectomy and foramentomomy (C6 & c7) on Weds., 3/17/2010. The surgeon said everything went very well and there were no issues and everything went as expected. I have an incision that is vertical down my neck about 6-8 inches long and it came with 17 staples!!! Ouch! I am in a ton of post-op pain at this point still (as of 3 days after surgery at this point) and they admitted me after my surgery for one day thereafter. Some very positives thus far are: 1) The nerve pain down my entire left side has been corrected!!! No more horrible nerve pain - thank God! 2) I can move my fingers completely again and actually use them! 3) No more intense migraine headache at all hours of the day!!! This one is HUGE! I am so thankful. The only pain - and believe me it is incredibly painful (much more so than my ACDF post-op pain actually) - I am having now is severe muscle spasms in my neck. Since the surgery I just had required them to go into my neck from the back - instead of the front like the ACDF, the doctor said this amount of pain is actually expected for up to 6 weeks because of the neck muscles they had to go through , etc. from the posterior side of my body. I am so glad I decided to go through with this surgery because I am SO MUCH BETTER than I was before. I am amazed that the nerve pain feeling is gone and my migraine pain is gone as well. Simply amazing! I cannot tell you how much it means to me to be rid of those horrible, painful symptoms...I am only faced with now dealing with the pain of this latest surgery - which is no joke, let me tell you. The spasms are intense and unavoidable - BUT ... I'd rather have the pain I am feeling now 100 times over than what I lived with the past 7 months of mu life.

Thank you all for your prayers and support - especially the stories you told me - I learned so much and you guys put me at ease during a time of much stress and anxiety. If anyone has any questions or is going through any type of similar condition that I have/had - or is going through the surgeries I've had - or anything else for that matter, I would love to help anyone and provide any advice that I can.

Thanks so much everyone and Ill be checking in to let you all know how I am progressing and healing, etc. as well.

• Hi,

Glad to hear surgery is all over and you are feeling much better, as to the nerve pain. Your surgeon is absolutely correct in the fact posterior surgery is much harder on the body and takes longer to heal from. Be patient and take your time, follow all the doctors orders. Most important is to stay up on the muscle relaxers. Your H maybe able to in time provide you some light massages on the shoulders to help them. I have seen many following posterior surgery who use massage therapy to help break down the spasms. Take care and keep us posted on your recovery progress.
This discussion has been closed.