Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Amanda S YanisAAmanda S Yanis Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My microD was on 3/1 and I'm still experiencing drainage 15 days later. I saw my surgeon last week and he said that was still kinda normal, that I was just taking longer to heal and he pushed back my appt to have staples removed until tomorrow. But here I am, a week later, and still experiencing some drainage. Most of the time, it is not alot, but I notice when I'm up and moving alot, it gets worse. Saturday night while eating dinner, I felt the back of my robe was wet and sure enough it was from the drainage that had leaked through a pad, my shirt, and my heavy robe. When we put a new pad on, it had soaked through again in a matter of minutes. Is this normal?? I guess I'm just afraid he is going to release me back to work and since I'm constantly on my feet at work, that scares me. Especially since I cannot put the dressing on myself. Thank you for any responses!!

PS I'm using the extra absorbant dressings and tape two of them on together, But sometimes I just use what is really just a huge bandaid when it is not draining realy bad, and that seems to help more. I dont' know if it is because of the pressure it puts on it or not?? But even if that is why, is that a good thing?

• Hi,

I didn't have this problem but I think there was someone who had staples after MicroD and might be able to comment.

But I would express the exact concern to your doctor. How's everything else progressing?
  • I would certainly bring this concern to the attention of your surgeon.

• Hi Amanda,
    I had a lot of drainage after my back fusion, but I also had a drainage tub. It was left in longer for that reason. And in ways I wish they would of left it in longer. At a month and a half, they did a MRI with contrast, and there was a large pool of liquid. NS said not to worry will go away. Now 3 years later, and armed with more knowledge about fusion, and drainage issues. I think it should of been left in longer, and the fluid that was trapped in my fusion area drained at least.

So I would say from personal experience draining is a good thing. I would however talk to your surgeon about it, because there's always a risk of something leaking that shouldn't be. But from your discription sound more like heavy drainage, and everyones body drains differently.
    Bobbi Jo

• You said you had a micro D, how big is your incision?

I had open back surgery for my laminectomy/discectomy and my scar is about 2 inches and was closed with butterfly stitches and I never had any drainage and they just fell off after a few weeks.

I sure hope its ok, but checking with your doctor is the best thing to do.

Good luck, let us know

• So I finally just measured my scar and it is 3 inches!! I knew it lookes alot longer than 1 1/2 - 2 in. like the told me! I counted my staples and I have 12 of them! I'm not sure why it is so much bigger but I may ask tomorrow.

Besides the drainage, a few back spasms here and there, and a little soreness, I'm doing great. No leg pain at all!! I'm sure I've been doing wayyy too much because of that though. Today for instance I felt so good that I took a Lortab this morning and felt fine so didnt take anymore. Then we went to a basketball game at 5, went to the funeral home for an hour, then to another game at 7. Unfortunatly at the funeral home I started to feel really ill, which I think was probably withdrawl since I hadnt taken my pill in 10 hours and I've been on them for over a year now. So I guess I will need to be a little more careful with that.

Now that the weather is nice I need to get out and start walking alot more so I can contine to lose more weight. Since September I've lost about 25 lbs. and I need to lose about anther 75 to be skinny for once! I turn 30 in Sept. so my goal is to lose most of it by then.

Okay, off tooo bed so I can get up extra early for my appt!
  • Had my open discectomy L4/L5 on 3/2.. I had a drainage tube but the surgeon yanked it out the next day.. had a little bit of bleeding on the bandage for maybe 3 days further. Should def ask about that
  • I did just see my dr. a week ago and he told my hubby to what to watch out for in terms of the drainage. Its not cloudy, white, or greenish, so it's not infected. They just didnt' tell me how long I should expect the drainage. I'll go good for a couple days then all of a sudden it will pick up. But I go in the morning now and I will be asking.
    Thanks all!