Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a follow up appointment today. My surgeons assistant did tell me not to worry about my abdominal insicion ~ the speed bump. That as the internal stitches dissolve it will become flatter. :)

I meet with PM. We came up with a plan for my pain. I am going to try oxycodone for a month to see if it gives me better pain relief that the Narco. The consern re Narco is how much tylenol it has in it.

I'm a little afraid of taking the Oxycodone. I haven't ever taken anything stronger than Narco. He did say he wanted someone with me for a day or two when I start taking it, to be sure I'm "not too sleepy".

I guess I am wondering how it is for others who take it? Does it control better than Narco? What are the side affects like? Thanks for your support~Shari

• I prefer Oxycodone instead of Norco which is just Vicodin with a different dose of Tylenol in it. Vicodin makes me nauseated and never helped my pain much. I have been taking Percocet with success for a year now. My hope is after a few months not having to take meds at all. 2 weeks since PLIF !!! It did make me very sleepy at first but that went away after a while

• I don't have anything to compare to.
    I think they gave me some 'non' or less narcotic pain reliever the 1st surgery.

I take Percoset. There are different mixes. I'm on a lower dose 5/325 (which means 5mg oxy and 325mg of tylenol).

The doses I think are

The Oxy is an opiate ?sp.

It can make you dizzy and thus a little nauseous depending on the dose. It will make you a little sleepy as I believe it does have a side effect of slowing your breathing.

I have found it effective. I will tell you that I won't always fall asleep after taking 1 pill but I will quite relaxed and won't drive. If you take at night, definitely make sure your husband wakes up the first few times you get up in the middle of the night just to be sure you are steady on your feet.

I think if you are on a higher dose, they may taper you as you come off but I never took that much to worry about withdrawel.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    every pain medication in the Hydrocodone family. This includes:
    Hydrocodone and compounds containing it are marketed, in varying forms, under a number of trademarks, including Vicodin, Hydrococet, Symtan, Anexsia, Dicodid, Hycodan (or generically Hydromet), Hycomine, Hycet, Lorcet, Lortab, Norco, Novahistex, Hydrovo, Duodin, Kolikodol, Orthoxycol, Mercodinone, Synkonin, Norgan, and Hydrokon.

I've also used Oxycontin (Extended Release) pain medication, not to be confused with Oxycodone. Oxycodone IR (Immediate Release) pain medication without any acetaminophen I used as breakthrough pain medication.

I would generally have 2 to 3 dosages of Oxycontin (ER) (from 40mg down to 10mg) with 6-8 tabs of the Oxycodone IR 5mg.

Never had any negative side effects. On the Hyhdrocodone side, I had several negative effects, the most prevalent was nauseous stomach and vomiting.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sry if this may offend some of you but has anyone here tried medicinal MJ?. I am just over three weeks post-op(posterior L5/S1 fusion/ tit rods and screws) and I havn't taken any pain meds (prescribed Percocet) in about 2 weeks.

Medical MJ used in moderation, provided me with the best pain relief I have ever had in a 15 year bout with herniated discs, DDD, etc.

No i am not a "pothead" I smoke it only at night and ONLY if I am in pain.
    Just a suggest
    Wish all of you well
  • Unfortunately medical MJ use is not legal in many states.

So as you can imagine, not really an option for most people if they want to work honestly with their doctor on recovery.

Other than that I have no information on if it's a valid option but seems it is working well for you.
  • I only take the Oxycontin not instant relief but I have no side effects from the medication. Best wishes and hope the medication helps you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :D

I've had 5/325 Oxycodone as a standby for back pain flare ups for years. I haven't had any bad side effects other than a little headache after a couple of hours. Don't take it on an empty stomach or it may make you a little nauseous but I've never had that happen to me.

It relaxes me but does not put me out (asleep). Only higher does when I've had surgeries will tend to make you sleep. Just my experience, not a doctor.

I wish you good luck and hope that this will help your pain.

• You were given stronger drugs while in the hospital, so you probably will do just fine with the Oxycodone. It is an excellent pain med! Also, whenever I'm trying a new medication, I like to take what I call a "test" dose. If it is scored, you can always take half, and see how you feel; then you can take the presribed dosage.

You have been through a huge procedure, and now starting PT and taking a trip...very ambitious stuff, and you may have quite a bit of pain. Bottom line, of course, you have to be comfortable with the meds you take. Good luck!

• I know what you mean by a big old knot. My surgeon also said it would flatten as the inside sutures dissolve.Lynette
  • OXY's made me hyper not sleepy - which can be a nice side effect lol I got a lot done on them lol ;)

But they did not help my pain long term so that was short lived :(

I hope this works well for you - please keep us posted :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • The abdominal insicion feels like a speed bump, huh! Maybe it is suppose to remind us to "go slow" :) It gives me comfort to know I'm not alone in this. :)

Hope you are doing well, resting and walking....walking and resting!

Here's to a full and complete healing! Shari
  • I think you will find the oxycodone will work well for the pain. I am on Fentanyl patches and take 30 mg oxycodone every 4 hours for break through pain. It really has never made me sleepy, but with the meds I am on, I am cautious about driving, and you will have to see how it affects you, before you drive. Which looking at when you had your surgery, probably wont be for a while. So you will have time to see how it affects you. Good Luck and hope you are doing better. Take Care, Robin