Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Accurascope procedure in Dallas

martygenemmartygene Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Am 74 years old, back problems on and off since 1992...herniated disc per ortho, but no MRI then.
Serious back and right buttocks pain started 10/09. Had 2 epidurals, no effect, even worse attack after shots....right lower back pain and severe right buttocks pain, "right dropped foot".

Had Accurascope procedure in Dallas, TX, 3/2/2010....walked out of surgery center two hours later with NO pain or discomfort. Now 14 days since surgery and all is OK. Only symptom is mild numbness and mild surface pain in right quadriceps area.Seems to be going away slowly.

Prcedure included trimming bulging discs bilaterally from L-5 up thru L-2,separating adhesions tethering the spinal nerve roots to the bulging discs, and rhizotomy( deadening) facet joints bilaterally L-5 thru L-3.

At this point....only two weeks since surgery...feel great and am pain free. No longer have pain when standing too long or walking.

• Glad to hear you are feeling better. I had the Accurascope procedure in Dayton and felt great for a couple months, but then slowly went downhill. I think my discs were too hydrated and just rebulged some. I hope yours proves to be more successful.

• Appreciate your support. Sounds like your Accurascope procedure was seven months AFTER a surgical disckectomy.....is that right? If so, could the disk tissue and scar tissue later found have come from that earlier surgery?
    Do you recommend PT? Has it helped? If so, how? Would you recommend my doing it?Any concern about aggressive PT actually reinjuring your back?

Have you been in touch with Accurascope surgeon and gotten any feedback?All in all, would you do it again?
  • Yeah, I had the traditional micro-d before the Accurascope procedure. I actually had scar tissue removed via the accurascope and that is why I wanted to do it. After surgery (literally) I had problems with my right foot (shin muscle wouldn't work) which I didn't have problems with it before. Muscle has slowly gotten better, but now have pain and burning in both legs.

I think anytime a surgeon cuts or lasers or in any way manipulates the disc wall by removing material, the wall is weakened. If the disc is ruptured, then the disc needs cleaned up to get the material off the nerves, but if the issue is a bulge, then the ablation will weaken the wall and potentially cause a subsequent re herniation, as in my case. I felt good for a little while then back came the symptoms and MRI showed rebulge. I believe the laser surgery is best suited for older people who have dehydrated discs who have less internal disc pressure on the disc wall due to the loss of fluid inside the disc. In short, it didn't work for me and my symptoms are more widespread. I don't think my disc can handle my movements anymore. I just got worse over time. Am looking at fusion/ADR possibly...

I wouldn't do aggressive PT following lumbar surgery, matter of fact, find a pool (aquatherapy)to start in if you can.

• Hope all will be successful for you at the end of your journey. I'm a little nervous after hearing your story.....you were doing well, then downhill.Pray this will not be my future.

I agree on PT. I believe the discs and nerves need a lot of time to heal and for the spinal trauma of the procedure to subside. The Accurascope folks say after 1 week. Too soon....I will wait at least 4 weeks, then non-aggressive PT for me....stretching and core strengthening only....no spine stuff.

Good luck to you, stay in touch....thanks
  • Hi everyone, I'm new to this site which I discovered as I searched for the Occurascope procedure that my wife saw on TV. I must say that I was impressed with what they had on their web site.. maybe mostly hopeful! I've had degenerative disc for most of my life dealing with the constant pains. I've recently had such tremendous pain that my wife, who is a nurse said that there have to be some new technology out there to try and resolve this problem... so I started looking. From what I've read from Buckeyeback this procedure doesn't sound too promising.. or am I just at yet another dissapointment place? I want resolution... and as most people out there have discovered.. I feel there are none? I'm amazed that we can do such great things in life with technology, discovering life under miles of ice and we can't find resolution to these type of issues. enough ranting. thanks to all and I hope we see a light at the end of this painful tunnel!
  • Omar

Don't give up so easily....too much to lose that way.I had the Accurascope procedure of NAS in Dallas 3/2/2010....now 17 days since the procedure. Feel great, no more back and buttocks pain, no surgical incisions and cutting to heal. Am walkin 1.5 miles twice a day with no discomfort.

Before thje procedure, I had bad lopwer back pain and buttocks pain. Gave up golf and spent most of last Fall on my back.

Look into it more and ask the people at the NAS website(call their main number, on the website) to speak to one of their PA's about the details of the procedure.....I spoke to Jennifer Portmann at 214-615-6533. Also ask for a few names of past Accurascope patients to talk to.

Also, the web site lists the presentation Seminars they hold in many cities. That's where you will get the detailes desription of the procedure.
  • Marty, thanks for the encouraging words. I did contact them and have to send them results of my MRI for review. I know I saw one of your previous threads where you were considering getting this done. In that same thread I saw Buckeyeback discuss his lack of progress and that really discouraged me. As with most back-damaged individuals I thought this was the silver bullet and was deflated when I read his comments. I am glad you ended up going through it and have had positive outcome. It's encouraging for me and I will take your advice.
    thanks again!
  • Marty, please look for a therapy office that will let you start out in the pool (aquatherapy) and take it easy.

Good Luck to you. I hope it works for you.