Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sympathetic Nerve Block...

TTLCTTTLC Posts: 876
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Spinal Injections
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to post that I finally had my consultation with the Physiatrist who will be doing my nerve blocks and injections. This doctor and her husband have been doing injections for over 20 years and I have heard a lot of positive feedback. (That always helps to ease your mind).

The consulation went very well this morning. The doctor is very knowledgeable, takes time to explain and answer any questions and she has a very nice bed-side manner. I am scheduled to have a Sympathetic Nerve Block with Coccyx Injections... this Wednesday. :)

The doctor performs all nerve blocks and injections at an out-patient surgerical center, adjacent to my hospital. I will be given light sedation (Versed) and I'm looking so forward to relief in my tailbone and sacrum areas. They do all blocks/injections under fluoroscope guideance.

My check-in time is 7:45am and she will start the procedures at 8:30am.

I am a bit nervous, but looking forward to ANY relief in these areas.

I hope to have positive results, just like our other members have been getting recently... Charry, Debbie, Stan and oh dear... my memory is fading! I know there are a couple of others I can't think of right now, but they are listed under this forum.

I welcome any prayers and/or positive vibes for this Wednesday morning. The last time I asked for prayers and/or positive vibes from my Spiney friends... turned out to be quite incredible! :)

Best wishes to all for less pain this week,

Tammy :)

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm so glad that after meeting the doctor your mind is more at ease. I'm really looking forward to hearing just how successful the injections are for your pain. I'm also glad to hear that they use versed to relax you...that stuff is great. :D
    It's great that your appointment is so soon. That helps not having to worry about it so long.
    You know that I'll be right with you in thoughts and spirit and sending the best vibes ever. You hopefully are on the way to some much needed relief!
    Good luck my friend,
  • Good to hear you're getting your injections soon and with sedation. Prayers for you on Wednesday morning. Do take care and ice at home afterwards. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Good luck Tammy
    I hope verything goes well. I will be praying for
  • You will do "swimmingly"!

• I'll send positive vibes your way.
  • I'm so glad to hear that your injections are scheduled. It also makes a huge difference that you have confidence in the doctors - we all know how important that is.

You're going to do just fine. I'm glad you'll have sedation, that always helps with these things.

Good luck to you and I'm anxious to hear how it goes.

Take care, my friend.
  • wonderful ! This is all such good news :)

My thoughts/prayers will be with you.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thanks so much for your posts. I really appreciate them! :)

Debbie... I promise to post, just as soon as possible, tomorrow. We need to get your tailbone pain taken care of, too! Thank you for the well wishes and I hope you are doing better today. I know you were having a nasty headache and some other pains... so I hope they are being resolved. I was pleased to hear the word "Versed" yesterday, as I read about your positive experience with it. I tend to tense up with the jolts I get, so anything to relax the jolts and mind will be welcomed with open arms. :)

Charry... Thanks for the prayers. I hope you are continuing to have relief and are able to do a little more each day. I was so happy to hear how well you did with your injections. You had quite a few! Thanks again for your support and advice on icing the areas... I really appreciate it. :)

Payo... Thank you so much for the prayers and good luck wish. I hope you are doing okay and I will be looking forward to sharing my experience tomorrow. :)

Hi "C"... Ah, yes. I shall be keeping "swimmingly" in my thoughts tomorrow! I haven't heard that word used in years. I'm glad it came to mind for you to use. Makes me want to indulge in tea and crumpets! Thanks for the post and smiles, "C". :)

Kylie... Thank you for the well wishes. I hope you are doing well. The pictures you post are adorable. Are these your own creations? Thanks again, Kylie. :)

Cath... Yes, yes, yes. Relief is just around the corner, thank God. I've been reaching the point of wanting to pull my hair out, so I'm glad they worked me in so soon. I know I need to lay low for a couple of days, but after that... I'm going to get outside and walk, walk, walk. We are having such gorgeous weather this week... 70's and 80's. Thanks again for your support and I'll be looking forward to reporting a positive experience with the block and injections! :)

Hi MsHD... Thank you! So nice to know others will be thinking of me tomorrow morning. I really appreciate it. I hope your daughter and grandbaby are doing well. I've been doing my best to keep up with your posts. Best wishes to you and your family. :)

Ta ta for now... and thanks again!

Tammy :)
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and hope that everything goes well. I really hope the injections will give you some much needed relief. Hope to hear from you soon that the procedure went okay.

• Hi to all,

I'm home! I got home at 10:30am, had some wheat toast with cantelope and then slept until 2:00pm (it's almost 2:30 here).

I wound up getting two kinds of nerve blocks and a couple of injections. It was so wonderful to feel numbed up in the tailbone area, during recovery. I visited with several very nice nurses (they wanted to know what I did to my back and tailbone) during recovery and I even referred one nurses's husband to Spine-Health for his lower back problems! They had me sit in a cozy recliner during recovery and I just couldn't believe not feeling any pain while sitting. Again, it was a great feeling. :)

After I woke up from my long nap, I've had a raging headache and it feels like I caught a flyball with my tailbone... lol. The surface numbing has worn off and I'm starting to ice the area. I have zero pain in my hips and zero pain in my thighs, when I lay on my back. (Another GREAT feeling). I'm sure once the surface area calms down, I'll be feeling really good again. I'm going to lay low, continue to ice the area and probably sleep some more.

They gave me very light sedation (I had to be able to communicate with my doctor) and I only felt about 5 sharp pokes during the whole procedure. :)

I will write more later on, just wanted to give a quick update to everyone and thank you for thinking of me!

Talk to you real soon,

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I really hope this works for you! Sorry for not seeing this until now. I just didn't see it, (BAD BOY)! And after you sent me all of this good weather! I was outside enjoying the weather you sent. That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.
    Jim ;)
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Thanks so much!

I am glad you are enjoying the weather I sent you... I'm getting reading to take a walk real soon. I just have to! I haven't experienced what "no tailbone pain with walking" feels like, in such a long time.

We are in the 80's today and tomorrow!

I'm not going to walk far... just about 2 miles up the mountain. (JUST KIDDING... I will behave).

It still feels funky when I sit... I really caught that flyball with all my "cheeky" might. ;) (Refer to above for my flyball comment).

I'm so glad you're feeling good, Jim. Makes me smile. :)

Bye for now and thanks again!

• I hope it works for you. I took it easy for 3 days after to give it a chance to work. I hope it has lasting effects.. I occasionally feel a twinge at the ESI site as if the needle is still there though I know it's not! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for the info regarding feeling like the needle is still in the site areas. If I start to feel that, I'll know that others do too.

I still have a bit of a headache, but it's worth it to have this pain relief. The soreness in the site area is the size of a ping pong ball now. It really is nothing to gripe about, but just wanted to share what I feel... for anyone else who may be getting blocks or injections in this area.

I am only allowed to walk on our front porch for the next two days, per Mike. And, that is fine. I'm going to let the medication settle in and then I will be walking around the neighborhood again. This time, with no tailbone pain, hip pain or thigh pain.

I can't believe this pain relief. I was expecting some pain relief, but not 100% relief. It's absoultely amazing.

I was told from one of the nurses that my doctor gives thoracic injections, too. That wasn't discussed at our consultation, but I'm going to ask if I'm a candidate for those. It never hurts to ask.

I'm seriously thinking of sending my doctor some flowers, to thank her.

Hope you are doing well and are able to get out. Is the weather still cold?

Take good care,

• Wow, I'm so excited for you. I remember once being totally painfree almost a year ago - that numbing agent, if only we could give ourselves shots daily to numb everything out.

I'm so happy that you found the right doc, you got the injections, you're feeling better and mostly, that you're now hopeful for some relief. I'm anxious also, to hear what she says about the thoracic shots. You just might've hit a gold mine here! :-)

Mike is very smart - you need to take it easy so the meds can travel to the right place.

Take care, Tammy. Good things come to those who wait and now it's your turn. Congratulations. (knocking on wood)

• Yes, I agree. I wish there was a numbing agent we could all use throughout the day and night for our most painful areas. I've been using the Lidoderm patches on my big knots, which are located in the area from the bottom of your neck and extends to the top of your shoulders. I think a lot of us build up tension in these areas and I seriously have imagined just going to the dentist to have the knots numbed up. I do get relief from the patches, but one of these days... I will start gentle massage from a professional.

I did purchase these devices called "bongers", a while back. Seriously... they are called "bongers"! I don't know if anyone else uses these... but they do help the tight muscles in my arms. Mike and Zach use them on their back muscles. They are these hand- held devices with one stationary racket ball on the end of each device. There is a metal bar that allows the ball to bend and you just hold the bottom (which is wood) and "bong" whatever muscles are hurting you. You can do it to your own comfort level. My arms get tired very quickly, so Mike and the kids will "bong" my arm muscles when it becomes too tiring. They are great conversation pieces, too. You can use them anywhere you have tight muscles.

Thank you for your ongoing support and good wishes. You are such a sweet, knowledgeable and caring friend, Cath. It's very comforting to know that I can share with you my trials and successes I find along the way. What a wild 16 months this has been for me. In a matter of seconds, I entered the chronic pain world and narcotic medication world. Never imagined that ever happening with myself! I am determined to keep my head above water and I know you'll throw me a life jacket during any times of turbulent waters I may face. What a blessing. :)

Thanks again, Cath. :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

• Your words were so sweet and really touched me. But, you need to wear the life jacket, but I'll throw you a life preserver whenever you need it.

My husband and I have talked about the suddenness of all of this, too. If someone would have told me two years ago that I'd go through what I've been through in the last two years, I would've just laughed at them, while I hit a golf ball off the tee box.

Now, my whole life has changed and I know I'll never be who I was again. I don't know at what percentage I'll land, but it won't be 100%, 90%, or probably even 80%.

However, I truly believe that things happen for a reason and that there's a plan here somewhere, so we just have to go with the flow and do what we can do. It reminds me of the Eagles song, "In a New York Minute." Isn't that the truth?

Here at home, I was always the strong one and it hurts me to see that my hubby and my roles have changed. I used to take care of him (just because that's the way I was, not because he has any health problems), but now he takes care of me. He's always so kind about it.

I remember once fairly soon after my ACDF that I asked him to do something for me on his way home from work that was an inconvenience for him. Of course, he did it and when he got home, I said, "I'm sorry, I'm sure that's the last thing on earth you wanted to do." And he said to me, "Well, the last thing on earth I'd want to do is have neck surgery," then gave me a big hug. The good thing is that he sees me trying to do more and more things for myself, the house and our little Wally, but he's always there to help when I need it or, if I don't, he wants to help anyway.

So, my friend, I have no idea why I just went on that tangent. I guess I just got to thinking about the people in our lives and how important they are. And they're not just the ones we see, it's also our fellow spineys here on Spine-Health. You've helped me and others many times in the past and I know you'll continue to do so, like I will. But you're also not afraid to ask for help and sometimes I respect that even more. When someone is living in their own pain but willing to give to others what they can. It's an inspiration to many.

Take care Tammy.