Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What do you do?

immyaliimmyali Posts: 399
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Sleep Problems
For those like myself who have a bad back AND bad knees, does anyone else have a problem with sleep positions?
When my back is really bad, as is the case after hubby smacked me on the butt and I arched my back trying to get away, I really need to sleep with my legs up on pillows.

The problem is if I sleep through the night, it takes me a good five mins to be able to walk because my knees are so painful and stiff I can't get them going.

How do others tackle this problem?

• Hi Kyle,

I'm generally shifting position frequently, trying to find one that doesn't aggravate my bad knee or back. Can't lay on either side very long and never ever on my stomach, so most nights are on my back with my bad knee flexed partway. Am having the knee replaced soon and am hoping that will help my back problems. My knees don't get as stiff as yours, though. I feel for you!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I do sleep well on my left side with a body pillow between my knees. It still takes me at least a half an hour to get up when I sleep all night with a sleeping pill. If I get up suddenly I have foot issues and get a good muscle spasm in my thigh! Since hurting my back I can't sleep with my husband I've been kicked not intentionally though but he sleeps all over the place and I can't have him kicking me! I did have a flare up when my knee was so swollen but no problems lately. My husband had knee surgery and he puts ice sometimes before bed and it helps him. Take care and hope you get some rest. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I generally toss and turn too, but I took a sleeping pill last night trying to at least one good night this week and well.... apparently I didn't move.
    Bad decision on my behalf I guess.
    I wanted to get my knees replaced but my ortho said I was too fat and wasn't takiing my weight loss seriously (his words) and that I should do swimming etc and just push through the pain. When I told him I ended up bed ridden if I push through the pain he told me to keep pushing through the pain that it will get better.
    Can you say A- hole....
    Thanks for the input, guess i'll just have to not take sleeping pills and toss and turn.