Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

steri strips ?? how long on

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having an issue with the steri strips. They are itching so bad and are turning red underneath. I have so many allergies and I think these are one!!! I peeled the two off from where they took the bone marrow bx and now the skin is hive like underneath. I know they said they will fall off but these are going to have to go. I will call the office today to see if ok to peel off, otherwise I think I will have blisters!! Lynette

• I didn't have any reaction to the strips and they were pulled off by my PCP about 3 weeks after surgery. You could probably lay a damp washcloth over the top of them for a while to help loosen them up. If they are bothering your skin its time to go.

• They took mine off at my 1 week post op. My skin had the same reaction to tape. I kept trying to tell the nurses, but they kept telling me it was nerve pain. Needless to say by the time I got home and my hubby took the dressings off, I had bleeding blisters. 3 weeks later, I still have areas on my back that troublesome. So let 'em rip! Glad you are doing so well! :-) Shari
  • I had the same problem I was told that I am allergic to them and when they were removed, it also took the skin with it I now have scars the shape of steri strips lol I had to put cortizone cream on them. Doctor called it contact dermititis
  • I did call the Dr office and since I was far away and they could not see the icisions they wanted some blood work to r/o infection and someone to look at them, so went to my dr that I work for and he said incisions look good just inflamed under strips and labs were normal. Just ice and benadryl lynette
  • I'm guessin with weather warming up, it doesn't help the itch. So he left them on or took them off?

I know they prefer to leave them if you can but if you have a reaction, I was told to call the doctor's office and they would decide.

I hope it's better now.
  • Most of mine just fell off, but my Dr said I could pull the rest off at my 3 week check up. Thankfully mine didn't bother me.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    They put them back on!
    Jim image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • My nurse co-worker and my Dr. I work for took them all off yesterday. Last night I thought someone was going to have to put those mitts on me so I don't scratch myself to a state of rawness! All my incisions look like a big long hive. i know this is minor compared to what most of you have had post-op, but sure is irritating. Lynette
  • you can get quite severe scarring if you are allergic to them.
    Not to mention the uncomfortable non stop itchiness.
  • I had to cut my nails because I was clawing at mine in my sleep! My back itches so bad! I tried to put a little lotion on outlying skin. Hope it gets better soon!
  • Sorry to hear about your reaction. I definately react to bandaids and tape. I still have tape glue on me from 3 weeks ago and areas of redness in the shape of bandaids. I did not react to the steri strips however. Mine started falling off about 2 weeks after surgery. My incision however itches all the time. :)

• I think I had the same problem, I'm not alergic to alot of things, I was alergic to those strips. :S
  • I left mine on for 10 days.. I broke out with some acne in the area from all the glue and other stuff I think. But my incision looks great
  • Thanks for all your input, I think the itch crisis is over. I think I got them off in time so there will be no scaring. Lynette