Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone done intensive outpatient or inpatient PM programs?

Lala329LLala329 Posts: 283
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm really starting to look more long term with my pain management plan and was wondering if anyone here has done some of the more intense pain management programs? Mayo has a 3 week outpatient program, and I know there are other inpatient and intensive outpatient programs for chronic pain patients out there.

It's majorly expensive, but I'm wondering if the long term benefits of such an intense program would add up. I haven't ever heard anyone on the boards mention this, so I was curious if anyone has been through any of these programs.

• Great question. I did inpatient spinal rehabilitation shortly after my surgery, but not a pain management rehab program. I know they exist, in fact there is a 21 day program near here that I have heard about. I'm interested to hear of other people's experiences on this too.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Wow!
    Great subject! Just had this conversation with my Husband last night. The whole, "If this is as good as it's gonna get than I need to process it and move on." conversation.

I actually brought up trying to find out about extensive PM rehab etc. getting some reviews etc. on it.

Anxious to hear if anyone has any insight...
  • That John has done one, but not positive.You could PM him and ask.
  • Hello again Lala

I went on a four week residential Pm and it was very successful and worked for me. Sternbach the American Pm doctor suggested that it was those who were “chosen” that gave the final success of the program. I researched all academic papers written by Bonica, Melzack & Wall, Turk and Fordyce to glean some insight in what to expect.

It was a fantastic experience and one that everyone should attend and I know this is not available to everyone, in reality it helped us to understand the concept of pain its creation and behavioural support. The emphasis was on implementation in what we had learned though improved knowledge and understanding, it was predominantly none invasive and attempted though a multi-disciplinary approach of PT CBT and activity to help us cope with this challenging experience.

I did say I would write a breakdown of the four week process, it was intensive and I loved every moment, it provided unimaginable insight into the thesis of pain and its management.

Take care.

Ps Lala, I have sent you a pm.

• I'm not sure where in the world you are posting from? Probably the USA? Anyway, I'm from South Yorkshire in the UK and I attended a 6-week pm programme in Sheffield (one day per week).

The things I should have learned were how to manage your pain, keep a 'time' diary of activities you do during the day, when the pain is worse, if there's a pattern etc. so you can adjust your routines accordingly. Relaxing techniques to try and combat stress, which can also make your pain worse. Lifting and handling techniques. Discussing your situation with other patients, though possibly not with the same physical pain as you, but pain is pain nonetheless wherever it is - I found this support very helpful because what other people do to help themselves could possible help you also. Understanding that you're not alone, etc. etc.

Unfortunately, with me personally, because I have 3 different things going on with my back, the pain has steadily worsened over the years and numerous conservative treatments have not helped a great deal in the long term.

If the pm programme is available to you, wherever you are, it certainly couldn't hurt to investigate it and perhaps they can provide you with some feedback from previous attendees.

Hope this info is helpful. Let us all know how it goes OK?
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I am a few months away from losing a long term career due to being out of work. (With a GREAT COMPANY and a great job I love I might add.)

With being out of work comes all the financial hardships we all endure. Medical bills are no picnic especially when you are paying for your own insurance as well. I'm not saying anything here many haven't experienced.

All my life I have been VERY SENSITIVE to most drugs so the usual pain management course of medication is not working for me. Drugs make me SICK or STUPID or most times BOTH.

I'm determined here. I may not be a genuis but I can be taught fairly quickly. I have an open mind.

There's something out there for me that works.

I have an appointment next week with Cleveland Clinic. I'm not looking for a miracle cure. (Although I'll take one.) I'm looking for pain relief to the greatest degree possible. I will continue my inquiry there.

Ok, I'll be honest. I am looking for a Miracle cure.

Thanks for the insight.
This discussion has been closed.