Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Jellyhall over the hill

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
The anticipation is worse than the surgery!
I really wanted to say that - and I can.
I had my decompression & fusion L4/L5 with cage and pedicle screws & rods (don't know the colour of screws - yet!)
The surgeon also decompressed the nerve root at L5 and cut a window to view the disc at L3.
He used the ground up lamina for the bone graft.

The day of surgery I needed a blood transfusion & they re-cycled my own blood that had been collected.
Today, I'm feeling so much better. They've stopped the morphine pain pump & put me on Paracetemol, Tramadol & Diclaphenic.
They removed the drain before lunchtime & have now been allowed to eat light meals.
I had 2 good sessions with the Physio, progressing to a short walk in the room & using the toilet.

Hope this encourages some of you about to go into surgery.

Will write soon.

The white TED stockings with compression booties make a real fashion statement.
Jim, to complete the look, I NEED those red pumps!!

• Great to hear it is over and now you are on your way to recovery! Prayers to you and your doctors for the great news and also to the nurses who take great care of you and your family.

It will get better quickly now without all the tubes in you.

Take care!
  • Jelly,I am so glad you are through the surgery!It sounds like you are doing great-please post when you feel like it so we can keep up with you-love,Jeannie
  • Great new Jellyhall! I am so happy and relieved to hear how well you are doing! See~great things happen to really nice people!! Continuing to pray for you, that you continue to heal and have your pain well managed! Sounds like your family is a wonderful support! YAY Family!! talk to you soon my freind! Shari
  • I hope your recovery goes well. That's great with the TEDs and booties maybe send us a pic. Take care and thanks for the update. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Welcome..to the other side! Sounds like you are doing well. Very good news!

• I have been so worried and am so HAPPY to hear from you. I am glad you seem to be on the right track. Keep us posted as soon as you feel up to it.

• glad to hear things are progressing!! LYNETTE
  • I am so happy you feel well enough to post, YIPPEE!!

• You are just out of surgery and writing succinet and coherant posts. I don't even do that and I'm 6 weeks post op.

Congrats for getting being over the hill (oops, I have no idea how old you are but you know what I meant).

It was so cool that your hubby gave us an initial update so we didn't have to worry but it's always nice to hear from the patient.

Keep up the speedy recovery!

• Hi Jelly -

Bravo - You sound great and it is impressive you're able to post so soon after surgery. Hope that the hospital stay is short and you can go home very soon.
    Here's to an easy recovery!

• Very impressed that you are able to post so quickly after your surgery. Hope your recovery continues to be so positive. Congratulations and Good Luck with getting home soon. Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Your posting already, WOW! I' glad everything went well for you. Now I've bee holding those ruby red pumps by the toes. And clicking the heals. And saying go to jelly now. Go to Jelly now! And they refuse to leave. I probably need to actually put them on and say it. But then I'd end up going with them. And if they took me to Kansas. And I told everyone I was from Califonia, wearing ruby red pumps. I wonder what they'd do to me! OH! I don't want to find out! I have to find a better way! :?
    Jim :D
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Great to hear you're over the op and doing so well. Hopefully your recovery goes really smoothly.

Just a word on your meds. Do check with your surgeon about the Diclofenac. That is the generic for Volotorol which is an anti-inflammatory. I've had to learn all it's names as I'm allergic to it and it is used so frequently.
  • Incredible that you've posted so soon!! That's great that you're doing well. Absolutely agree that the anticipation is worse than the surgery.

Take it very easy once you get home and I hope that your recovery goes smoothly.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • So glad to hear you are feeling so good. I agree that the anticipation was worse than the actual op.
    I had paracetamol and diclofenac post op too. Isn't it amazing when the painkillers actually work. (I am just guessing that they never worked on your nerve pain cos they never worked on mine!)
    Keep getting better - then you will be able to enjoy the spring sunshine on your recovery walks!
  • Hi Jellyhall,

I'm so glad you are through with surgery and on the road to recovery.

I bet you look darling in your TED stockings. Keep your booties or socks on so your feet keep nice and warm. I'm quite sure Jim will be clicking those heels together, in hopes they land on your feet. :)

Take it real easy and I wish you a successful recovery with minimal pain.

Thinking of you,

• Sorry to disappoint, but the posts are from Hubby. Jellyhall does not have internet access in the hospital room, so I am her social secretary.
    She is now completely disconnected from everything, so they've had to lock the front door :))
    She's had another good day today (Sunday). Has 3 walks up the corridor and is now allowed to get up for bathroom & walks without nurses (I'm there all day to help out). There was a slight setback when she got very tired after washing herself, plus she twisted slightly and that did hurt!
    But, soon over it and the rest of the day went fine. Salmon for lunch & Steak & mushroom pie for dinner, she won't want to come home to my cooking!
    Thanks for all you support & posts; I print them out each day and take them to her.
  • Yeah,
    I'm thrilled to hear about the progress being made. Keep up the great work.

Now about those secretarial services? Great job so far. You could have a future in this. (What a dear you are!)

On her behalf we request you sneak her in an ice cream sundae along with the next batch of printed post. Nothing like an ice cream sundae and some good reading material.

(Should we send recipes or will you be OK?) JK

Take Care Jelly! Can't wait to hear how great you are doing. Take it easy. NO BLT! Unless it's a sandwich.
  • In fact, such good news makes me celebrate so I'm digging into the Easter chocolates :D !

Take care of you and keep everyone posted and remember don't be trying cartwheels down that hospital hall just yet!

• Jellyhall, you are doing fantastic! You make this fusion thing look like a walk in the park! And what a wonderful hubby you have to print these for you! Thank you again Mr. Jellyhall!

They definately feed you better in the UK than they do at hospitals here in the USA. I was in for 6 days and I never had Salmon!! Not even once!

Sounds like you might get to go home as well as you are doing!

Hope you cont. your speedy recovery! Hugs Shari
  • We can all tell that Jellyhall is in great hands and will be very well cared for.

Thanks for taking the time to post on her behalf. :)

She will soon be out of the hospital and back to the comforts of home.

Best wishes to you and please give her our love!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Glad to see you are past the surgery and beginning the healing! Sending healing wishes your way,

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • You are a great support and wonderful of you to keep us informed of jelly's progress. The menu sounds quite delightful for today, but I bet she'll be very happy to be home eating whatever you can get together.

Tell jelly that the road ahead is a bit long, but she is well on her way...and if she keeps going at the present rate, seeing your son in the show should be a good, manageable goal for her!!

All my best,

• Happy to hear that you're over the hill so to speak. It's so good to hear good news no matter who send it. Glad your hubby can do it for you.

Sounds like all is going well....Keep it up! Marsha
  • SO glad to hear everything seems to be going well. We are all thankful your husband is taking the time to post so we can keep up on your progress. Praying for your pain to be managed and for you to get home as soon as possible.

Luv and Hugs

• Wow, reading your very first post transported me back to my surgery - I had to ask Scotty to beam me back up to the mothership. Whew!

I'm so glad it's going well. I also pushed myself to get walking and get all those tubes out, other than the IV. (Well, I kinda liked the Morphine pump, but, oh well.) I was up and walking by myself (but hanging on to my handy IV pole) to and from the bathroom and by the second afternoon, around the entire floor. There were a lot of "Wow, you're doing so well..." comments coming from different rooms - and that's when you know you're going to make it. Doesn't that feel good? Oh, I'm so happy that things are going well and that you're just feisty enough to get things rolling quickly and impressing the nurses, et al.

Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations. I'm so happy that things are going well and you're finally on the other side and now on to recovery. Keep up the good work!

Mr. Jelly, you're the envy of all of us who had to handle most days with only our nurses. Give yourself a pat on the back and then give Jelly a hug for us. We're rooting for her 100% and it looks like she's getting through it with flying colors. YAHOO! Those are the stories we like to hear.

Keep on a'healin' and we're anxious to talk again when you're home.

PS. I'm extremely jealous of the hospital food - the only decent thing I had to eat in three days was one peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
  • Cath your comment about hospital food made me giggle. It's so true! Normally, I am a very specific eater, low fat/sugar, whole grains, organic ,etc. Now, I'm just happy when someone brings me anything! :) HA LOL Shari
  • Jelly...despite how good your hubby is making the hospital food sound, my guess is home cooking (or take out) will be better...because it will mean you are HOME!

You are doing really well it seems. Some small set backs are bound to happen. Love the fact that your husband is giving us updates and reading them.

I 2nd the ice-cream sunday or even a milkshake (or ice cream float).

Keep smiling....and know that each day will be a step closer to feeling better.
  • So glad to hear that things are going smoothly! So glad the Mr. is keeping us updated, I remember how hard it was to try to post the 1st week. My husband has been great too! What would we do with out them. Sounds like you will be going home in the near future and it will feel great!! Keep us posted. Lynette
  • Dictated to the social secretary.
    "Jim, Can you send that turkey baster along with the red pumps! I think I need it :))(
    Had a busy day today - walked up/down the corridor 4 times & up/down the stairs twice. Then the physio told me not to 'over do it' & to rest for the rest of the day.
    Have started sitting for 15 mins to have meals. The food here is very nice - but not much of an appetite.

Had an itchy back (that started yesterday) so they gave me piriton. It was worse today so they looked at it and it was red with blisters forming. More piriton & a change of dressing (which broke the blister :<
    Also climbed into bath for a shower (we have this type of shower at home).
    Went back to bed exhausted.

Maybe going home tomorrow"