Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I wish I had / hadn't... I'm glad I ...

MeeshaMMeesha Posts: 55
I wanted to see what people would say they wished they had/hadn't done as far as treatment, exercises, or whatever. I don't mean for this to be depressing, and spilling regrets, but I guess it could look that way. I only want to see how many are similar, and to help me with deciding on injections or surgery or waiting it out. Not that I'm making my decision solely on info on these forums, but I'm trying to get all the info I can. Thanks.

I'll start:
I wish I had had all my questions ready for my surgeon on day 1, so I wouldn't have to wait another month to see him and ask more questions, now that I'm much worse. I'd have done all my research before going to see him.

I'm glad I found a good physiotherapist, and good doctors although I still have a ways to go.
discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.

• i wish i had found this site many yrs ago
    and i do regret doing this last round of esi injections..waste of time and suffering..for no good results..
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • I wish I knew what I know now, when I was younger...ok, couldn't resist the lyrics.

But I do wish I learned more about possible complications of my sciatica early on. However, I don't have regrets b/c I was really doing well and had been symptom free until 5-days before my herniation rupture.

I wish that when I got hurt, I found this site so that I could have considered trying injections first. I wish that I knew if they would work.

But seriously
    - I wish I found this site sooner
    - I'm glad I found this site when I did so I could properly prepare for the future
    - I'm glad I spent an extra month getting additonal opinions and meeting with various doctors to find a surgeon I was comfortable with for my current situation as well as the future 'what if's.
    -I'm glad I took what I learned from my 1st surgery and applied it to my 2nd one
    -I'm glad I didn't assume I knew everything and continued to ask questions and then research and then ask more questions
    -I'm glad I asked other people's opinions
    -I'm glad I picked a doctor that is protecting me from myself (i.e. restricting my work for the better long term interest of avoiding future surgeries)
    - I'm glad I stayed fit and kept my weight off for so many years...I've put on some since my surgeries but hoping to lose it over the next few months
    -I'm glad I never smoked b/c it's not good if you ever do need a fusion
    - I'm glad I live in the US (well for now) b/c health care options are quite good. (though I wish the current situation didn't pass b/c it's scaring me).

Anyhow, that's it for now.
  • I wish I had found this site and done my homework before I had my fusion. I don't know what my choices would have been but I'm sure I would have found out.

"If I knew then what I know now."
    They say don't have a fusion if the level above and below is not stable enough to handle the extra work load. I look at my MRI report pre-fusion and it clearly says there were problems at the level above and below the fusion...

You just hear what the doctor says and you want the pain to stop so you listen and say "where do I sign?"

Here I am 2 years post fusion and the level above and below are a train wreck and I just want the pain to STOP!

• Frog, perfect title - thought I would borrow it sort of...

The day I crashed in my helicopter was suppose to be my day OFF, but nooooo I had to be the nice "girl pilot" and come in to give a guy his instructor check ride! I think that if I didn't crash, the thoracic and lumbar would not be so mean to me now! I know, I skipped my neck...well years of flying night vision goggles and the crappy posture we have when we fly a helicopter, (hehee) I think that those issues might still have come up?

DNice, WOW!!! Couldn't have said what you did better! Each day I learn something knew, or learn a new question. I think overall that obviously educates me to understand the "doctor Greek" when spoken to me, but too I am more of an advocate for my own health and treatment of same! You guys are great!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • But I was too exhausted from working that evening with no breaks and didn't want to wait hours in the hospital to get assessed Ahh shoulda, coulda, woulda. But trying not to live with any regrets right now. But it may have started the ball rolling toward a weakened disc finally caught up with me at work after a heavy assignment and that was my last night at work 2 years ago. But I'm so glad to find SH when I was getting my injections a few months later and I received so much support here especially with my first few days in chat.

You guys really rock! Everyone here from all walks of life and some kind souls that have so much concern and lots of support to give out. I haven't had surgery though so never had to make that big decision yet/if ever. I was really alone man without everyone here. Thanks Meesha great post. TC Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    In the Mind, Body and Spirit Forum category and under the Maintenance forums I have several threads that talk about things we should do, should not have done, etc. This topic has been covered many times.

In the simplest of terms what I feel the most is:

I wish I wouldn't have thought that I was superman and that nothing would impact me

I should have listened to what my doctors told me after my first surgery

IF I only had paid attention to the above!!!!!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I wish I had gone to the doctor sooner and not waited so long to get an MRI. Now I am hoping I haven't waited too long for conservative methods to work on my disc.
  • I'll echo Charry's sentiment about seeing a doctor right after I had a near car accident. When I had the pain from that in June, I gritted my teeth until September. I'd already been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis so I figured maybe I was just flared up from that.

By the time I had my MRI in February and learned about the cause of my disc pain, I'd had three more pops in it. I've had three pops since. Flex/extension x-rays a couple of weeks ago show my L5-S1 is almost bone on bone now. I can't change the past, but I wish I'd seen the doctor sooner!

I also wish I had pushed to stay in better shape when I only had fibro and OA to worry about. I have been in chronic pain since 2003 but looking back, it would have been a lot easier to push to walk then than after this disc injury. I let myself become too inactive. Maybe I couldn't have prevented the weakness that made my disc bulge. But maybe it would have been easier to deal with if I was in better shape.

I'm glad I started physio in September. It hasn't helped my spine at all, but it has helped my abdominal core. This helps when my spine pain is really horrible and I want to move my sleeping position or I have a hard time standing after laying or sitting. I also have an exercise that helps a lot when my referred pain shoots into my left leg. Yay for that.

I wish I knew before that pain control would not be 100% on medication. I honestly thought that if I put these strong substances in my body, my pain should be gone, or almost. I hate taking pills. By reading here, I have learned that when I get a point or two off my pain, that might be considered adequate pain control. If my 7 becomes a 5, that might be what it's supposed to do.