Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tears and Fears

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I really am beginning to understand the ups and downs of this recovery! It really is a roller coaster ride!

I woke up this morning feeling so good! I had slept through the night for the 2nd night in a row (with the use of benedryl)!

During physical therapy we (PT and I) realized the weakness and significant tremor that I have in my left leg. The scariest part is that once the tremor gets started, it's hard to stop. Typically, when an extermity is weak, it may shake while you are trying to use it, but once you stop, the tremor stops as the muscles aren't being asked to cont to work.

I have my surgeon's voice in the back of my head that I could have MS or some other neurological issue. It's so hard to look at my leg, will it to work in my mind and then watch it do nothing but shake. There is such a huge difference in strength in my 2 legs! I cried, my PT cried! She did say that nerves that have been compressed, can, and do, get better. Please pray that this is only due to nerve compression and nothing more!!

Honestly seeing the signif. difference in leg strengths, I'm amazed, I haven't fallen! I need to be so very careful!

• Lots of ups and downs.
    Post op I was good, neck pain was better and nerve pain down left arm was gone, a couple weeks into recovery, all of the sudden my whole left arm went numb. I thought they fixed my nerve problem, I must be having a heart attack. I was scared and started slapping my wrist/arm to see if I had feeling anywhere. I think once the nerves start working after being compressed, in my case a year, they have a mind of their own, or synapes get skipped. It happened a 1/2 dozen times over a couple weeks, then seems to have gone away. I hope it is so in your case. I just think they need to get used to regeneration.
  • Jayhawk I am sorry the therapy and your leg are not going the way you want it to. It very well may just be something that takes time from the poor nerves being under pressure for so long. I will say an extra prayer tonight to hope for your leg to start getting strong for you again. You stay tough, cause I know you are. Try to remember your faith that got you through the surgery in the first place and know that it will get you through this also.

• I think if my surgeon had not talked to me about his concern that I may have a neurological issue as well and the nerve compression, I would just look at this as a strength/weakness issue. Really it is the tremor that bothers me. It is just so pronounced.

I will continue to work hard in physical therapy and on my own, as well as continue with my faith.

It took everyone by surprise today. :(

Thank you so much for your support and prayers! :) "Spiney" friends rock!!
  • I had a TLIF w/instrumentation & decompression on 2/2/10. I immediately noticed the nerve pain in my left leg was completely gone. I just had what I assumed was the usual surgical pain.

After my first follow-up 4 weeks after surgery, I found out the top 2 screws had moved a bit. I got a brace and was not let off restrictions and told I could not start PT yet. I was encouraged to walk more, wearing the brace of course.

I have noticed that as soon as I started walking more, and now that the weather has become nice, the walks have become a little bit longer each week, my nerve pain in the same left leg started again each night around 6:00 p.m. I just keep telling myself that is something that can happen. There was no guarantee of complete relief of nerve pain. I also know it can take awhile for nerves to return to their normal state. I had ulnar nerve surgery years ago and took a full year for complete relief.

You're not alone in your tears and fears and roller coaster ride. I truly hope it is just the nerve recovering and nothing more and that it gets better and better every day.

• Awww Shari, It seems we are all struggling with difficult recoveries. I am sorry your leg is so bad. Isn't there some kind of testing for MS or other Neuro disorders? I am not a patient person and that's part of my frustration. But taking a wait and see attitude with that type of disease, seems to be a disaster waiting to happen.

I hope you can find out soon what the deal is. Good vibes your way. And thanks for all of your help.

Gentle Hugs,
  • It sucks!
    I have to say it and it's not encouraging but today I have to agree with you...the downs stink!

I hope tonight brings you a 3rd night of good rest!

• I'm sorry you are having a down day. You would never know it cuz you are always cheering everyone else on. Tomorrrow is another day and pray for a good one for you! I find myself very emotional. I get teary easily watching the stupidest things on tv. We have been through alot! Have a restful night. Lynette
  • Traci, there is testing that can be done for MS, etc. I had a MRI of my brain and there are no lesions~hurray! This all happened as I was scheduling surgery. I really wanted to have my surgery and be given a chance to recover before though neuro testing. I was able to talk my surgeon into this also (although he was reluctant).

Maybe it will turn out to not be the best choice, but I felt it was too much to process at the same time. Since there isn't scaring in my brain, I felt like I had some time.....

Thanks everyone for your support! and prayers! Shari
  • Agh....some days I'm not sure why I try. I went for a walk today. And I didn't want to as I worked so hard in PT yesterday and took my longest walk yet last night with my family. I really feel it in my legs and abdominal insicion. But, I know we are suppose to walk and I want to get better. During my walk, I dropped my keys! And I am by myself! My husband is gone, my neighbors are gone. I find one man down the street doing yard work, but he doesn't speak English and I don't speaf fluent Spanish~definately not enough to ask for my keys.

I kick my keys home. Thank goodness my hubby took my SUV today and left his car, which is much lower to the ground. I sat on the edge of the floor board, took off my socks and shoes. After many attempts, I finally succeed in using my feet to bring the keys up my leg to wear I can reach them. ugh!!!
  • shari---when I did PT the first time around the leg that had been effected shook---I was trying the stretch where you go up and down on the ball of your foot-my leg shook too much,but it did get stronger---have faith!
  • I would pay to have seen that!! lmao. I know at the time you didn't think it was funny but read what you wrote and you will see why I'm chuckling. My son and I have what we call monkey toes. We can pick up almost anything which freaks out my husband! Sometimes I do it just to get that look on his face.

Consider this a good day because it all worked out in the end. Hmm did someone say pedicure??
  • thanks Jeannie and Kris I apprectiate your support and encouragement. It is funny and frustrating at the same time....the trails of fusion recovery!
  • The way you wrote about the incident with the keys is really funny. I know that we all have known this kind of frustration and at the time we know that you could probably kill because of it. But, where there is a will, there is a way, thank goodness.

Just take good care of yourself and remember that we are all here to care and listen to what ever anyone has to say, good or bad. WE all get encouragement from every post
  • Thanks tahoe granny! I think I am going to give myself some TLC, hang out and watch a movie, cuddle with my dog, maybe even eat some chocolate!

Hope you are having a good day!
  • :)
    I love chocolate..have one for me too! Marsha
  • You might try taking a small tape measure with you next time in case something small like this needs to be picked up.

These are used by construction contractors but there are also some smaller ones for home users and some of them allow the end to be placed at an angle which could pick up various things from the ground. You could even attach a hook type contraption to the end of it.

Some even have buttons which allow the automatic rolling in the tape once pressed.

Just an idea to try to have with you next time. However, I am sure the keys will never make it to the ground again!
  • I'm sorry to hear that your roller coaster is not much fun just now.
    Good to hear that you have had some good sleep though.

When I told my surgeon I couldn't believe how good I felt, he did say that there would be difficult days ahead, and not to be disappointed/surprised when they came.

I kmow that I am so blessed (hubby, pain levels, recovery)but this is still tough, and makes us feel very vulnerable and helpless emotionally,

I'll pray for you my friend, :)))

This is still early days in a very long recovery. God bless you.

• Awe Jellyhall, reading your sweet post is like getting a big and gentle hug!! Thank you and I've missed you!

I am so happy to know you are doing so well! You deserve it and God has his arms wrapped around you!!

Going to PT soon. My insicion has healed enough to begin aquatics, but I need to find something to wear. Pre-surgery I was slim and fit.....not now. So definately can't wear my regular suits....My goal will be to find something by Mon and start aquatics then....hard on the ego. I think this surgery feels like a midlife crisis :(

My hubby found a lost dog, a little Yorkie yesterday. She is so cute and instantly adapted to our home. Slept with my daughter part of the night and with me the rest. She is laying by me now! Today we will put up signs and try to find her home. While I was in the hospital, our neighbor accidently let my daughters cat out and he has never came back. We are all so sad so we will work hard to find this dog's home. It breaks my heart that some one may be hurting, missing their dog.

It is so good to have you back! Hopefully the sun is shining for you today!
  • Shari...your gripper should go everywhere with you. I'm giggling at your story but shouldn't be.
    I have been there. The best is I tried to pick up a sock with my 'bad' foot (the one that more numb). My dog looks at me as if I'm nuts and what are you doing?

I'm glad you managed to get the keys home safely!

As for the lost dog - thank you for taking the dog in. It is surely someone's but leave a message at the local shelter to let them know you found the dog but will hold it until the family is found(If you can).
  • well, I woke up in the middle of the night in excrushiating pain, deep in my lower abdomen, under my insicion, but deep. After a while, I feel back asleep. I didn't think much of it other than I didn't get a lot of sleep. I went to PT, warmed up with the reclined bike, did some rowing. Everything was great, until the 2nd to the last rep. I got sharp stabbing pains again, under my insicion. It was the type of pain where you have to stop and tears come to your eyes. We stopped PT, iced and I've called my surgeon who is in surgery. Left message for PA who I had taked to on Mon about the swelling. On Mon she had said it would be good if she could see it. I thought it was OK. Now I'm guessing I'll have to go have them check it out.

Therapsit's can never diagnosis, but they can say what it seems like, etc. She said it definately isn't muscle ache (and we were hardly exerting)it could be a hernia, an burst internal stitch.

They pain is horrible! And I am worried! It truly, truly is a roller coaster ride!

• Thanks Shari,
    I know that I am really being blessed in my recovery, but ready for some rough days too.

Just do what needs to be done to get to the finish line of recovery. Once you are fully healed, you'll be able to get back your beautiful, slim physique again. :D

Hope you enjoy looking after the dog until you find it's owner. I also hope that you find your cat.

Take care Shari, and keep travelling along the recovery road. The end is getting nearer.
  • I'm lifting you in prayer now and will continue to, any time I'm awake in the night.

Keep the faith.
    Gentle, but heartfelt hugs.