Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home fron Surgery

SlancastvaSSlancastva Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all,

I had my spinal fusion on the 18th. The operating staff and doctor were nice but once I went back to my room let me tell you. I had only one nurse who was nice. The others were mean. They let me run out of pain medicince and left me to suffer with a pain scale of 8 until the nice nurse I mentioned above kept call the doctor on call and get me a little more medicine so my pain level went down to a 5 and the experience with the bed pan was terrible. I did not get any sleep until the second night. I told my doctor the next morning I had not been to sleep. He changed my medicine and the day nurse lied and told him they had given me something for sleep which they did not. Gladly he believed me. I will not go into details about ordeal of the bed pan. But I am home now. And I will never have surgery at that hospital again.

I just want to let everyone know that I survived the surgery but it has been an emotional roll coaster ride.

Hugs to all.

• Welcome home. My first fusion experience was wonderful, the staff was great. Second time, omg it was terrible. I am a nurse and know what care I should be getting. This made things even harder for me as I knew too much.

Glad to hear you are home now. There's no place like home lol.

Best wishes,

• Glad you are home..I had the same experience at my hospital , so bad that the nurse asked me to set my alarm at night so I can call her for my meds....It was horrible , disgusting....One night I told thew nurse to let me go home , because I could do a better job then you , and you get paid to do this...I think the nurse ( some ) thrive in the power of it all....It to bad....I had no problem telling them they had no right doing this to people....they suck and I glad I am home...when I get alittle better I am filling a complaint
  • Sorry that the hospital staff didn't look after you once you were back in your room. You should be fine now that you're home and can relax. Hope your doctor gave you enough meds to see you through the early recovery period.

For my first surgery in 08, I was as good as ignored by the nursing staff after the first night, and I was not a "happy chappy". For the second surgery last year, I had to go back to the same hospital and I was dreading it, but I couldn't believe the difference in care - the nursing was just the best. I only saw one nurse from the previous year, so can only think that the hospital had put on better staff.

Take care and keep in touch.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Glad you are home.
    I haven't had a fusion but did find a difference b/t my 2 microdiscectomies.

Different day of week and different hospitals.
    1st - Friday/smaller hospital
    2nd - Monday/bigger hospital

Mondays are busy...so definitely need to ask way in advance of needing something. Fridays are slower so as long as no 'surprise' patients', service can be easier.

Anyhow - be sure to call out the name of the nurse that was great in the survey. Then tell them that they should really take a look at the others on the shift b/c they were not responsive and didn't properly record or support your health status.
  • Glad you are home. There really isn't anywhere better to be when not feeling your best then in your own home.

Sorry to hear your hospital experience was so bad. I can sympathize as I had the same problem with the staff during my stay for fusion surgery in February. Luckily there always seems to be those one or two special individuals who manage to make a bad experience a tiny bit better.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Remember to follow your dotor's directions and rest as much as you can now that you're home and hopefully more comfortable.
  • Glad you made it home. I must say I have not had problems with hospital staff barring maybe 1 doctor.

That aside. So how did the surgery go? Any issues? I know it hurts getting up for a few days. But that initial pain will tone down soon enough. Let me know how you'r doing. You're another one of our experiments ;-)