Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6-8 week course of Prednisone Post Surgery?

scmgurusscmguru Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Pain Medications
My physical therapist said she has seen some of the best results when physicians prescibe medium term prednisone (6-8 week course) post surgery to knock the inflammation down.

Has anyone here done this?

I'm seeing a physiatrist that she recommended on Monday who has been successful with this type of treatment next week.

• I've never heard of this treatment after surgery, but I can see where it would make sense. Inflammation can develop into a big problem and it is a vicious cycle. Once it gets going, it is very hard to get rid of.

It is common to get steroid injections a couple weeks after surgery to knock or attempt to knock down inflammation.

Most people panic at the thought of taking that much steroid but it can be administered safely. You just have to be sure to taper off of it slowly.

I had to take prednisone for a year a number of years ago and lived to talk about it!

Be sure to report back if you decide to go this route.

• What kind of surgery? Steroids, like NSAIDS, inhibit fusion, so I hope it's not a fusion surgery.

I initially asked this same question for my fusion(before I knew the problem with bone growth) because it kinda made sense to me, too. However, steroids tend to raise your blood sugar(whether you are diabetic or not.) After a major insult to the body(trauma, surgery), often your blood sugars are monitored in the hospital and given insulin to keep it within a tight range. The body's natural response to insult is to free up stored sugars to fight what is going on. I honestly cannot remember the exact reason, but I remember being told that especially during the first 24 hours post major spine surgery, it is very important to keep sugars under control. I assume it has to deal with the healing process.

Anyway, I don't even know if you're having a fusion! :) Please post your progress and let us know if you choose this and how it works! We all learn from others' experiences.