Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Mother - Chronic Pain

stoke on toastsstoke on toast Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Chronic Pain
I am new on here as I really need to sort this once and for all, I write on behalf of my mother, she has had back problems since 1982 when she slipped a disc. This was not operated on at the time as the consultants thought that it was arthritis. It was not until 1987 when she had a milogram and it was found that a disc was pressing on a nerve that she had an operation to remove part of the disc.

She has been in constant pain ever since, not being able to walk far but being able to sit fairly comfortably. Over the past 2 years this has changed and now she can no longer walk, sit, or lie without significant pain. She has recently has scans which show that one disc is completely disintegrated and 2 others are disintegrating. She has had spinal nerve blocks several times and recently had facet joint injections, none of which have made any difference to the pain.

Her quality of life has deteriorated significantly, becoming more and more house bound. Her consultant has told her that her only option is a lumbar fusion but, at 66, she feels that this is a huge decision and would like a second opinion.

Is it possible that anyone on here would be able to advise if this is good idea at age 66, or perhaps point me in the right direction to see if this would be huge risk at her age.

• HI DS :H Welcome to the SH boards. However I am sorry that you do need to be here.

You have asked a very good question. I myself can not help you with it, but hopefully another member who can will come along and help you out.

I definitely can see your moms side of this. Yet if this is effecting her life so much then it still maybe something she would want to consider.

Does she have a long term primary DR. who she can go to and talk about this with? I am thinking a Dr who knows any of her other health issues and has nothing to do with the actual surgery maybe a good person to talk this through with.

Please do keep us updated how things go :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • i am sorry about your mum and i agree with you a fusion IS a big decision and yes i would get another opinion .should she require a fusion make sure that you get a surgeon with a superb reputation .there are plenty of fusions stories on the boards so read as much as you can .i myself require a multi level fusion and even me at 44 is worried and may not be having it .i am in pain and virtually house bound so i understand how she feels .there are things that can help with pain .like a high powered TENS {i use the acticare } see www.acticare.com for more info} also i am on oxycontin for pain relife and a comfy recliner and electrically adjustable bed make life a bit more tolerable ..but its not a cure ..and a fusion may also not be a total cure my advice priced with caution and ask loads of question's
  • Many have had fusions done at your mom's age. I thinkk the best idea is to get that 2nd opinion. Hope all works out for her, you're a good daughter for looking after her best interests.

This discussion has been closed.