Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bone growth stimulator

blazerblazer Posts: 785
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
has anyone had any experience with a spinal-stim bone growth stimulator. some fella just dropped one off at house said to wear 4 hours a day and will speed up fusion results. also said work comp. already paid for it ,mine to keep. wondering if they help and are worth the money comp spent.

• I don't know the cost but they are said to help with the fusion process. I wear one 24/7 and will have to do so for 6 months. My surgery was a revision surgery from a non fusion problem so the Dr. didn't want to take any chances. I would love to only have to wear it for 4 hours a day.

• Spoke to my doc about stimulator but he didn't think it would help very much depending on the kind of surgery you're having. Mine will be PLIF with treated allograft bone marrow. He said that the treated bone marrow would be the same as the stimulator. Someone just offered one to me and I might take them up on the offer anyway. I'll talk to the doc later on and seewhat he has to say about it.

I feel that you have to do everything and anything that might help in your recovery as long as the doc OKs it. Marsha
  • HI,
    I wore one for 4 hrs a day after my 3 level ACDF in Feb 08. The cost,according to what I'm told was about 5,000. back then. All I can tell u is that I fused ahead of schedule and I smoked cigarettes. Smoking is thought to slow fusion according to some physicians. Again, I wore it and I fused well.
    Good Luck
  • Additionally, I just wanna say ....My ins paid for mine and I actually still have it from 08. The same as u, a guy dropped 1 off at my house. Personally, I would encourage you to wear it,you have nothing to lose by doing so. They are a bit cumbersome but no where close to having to wear a collar..I dunno if you have cervical probs or not. Anyway,as i said, I luckily fused ahead of schedule. The stim certainly did not impede fusion, if anything, it helped..
    Best of luck

• thank you for all your input. i will definitely wear it just got staples out doctor said it looks great and to wear for at least 4 months. and he gave me a prescription for a cane. no driving for at least 3 more weeks. boy work comp is not gonna like me one bit when they figure all these bills out. o well.
  • o yea and they said to just wear it over the back brace will not affect the process.
  • I will be getting my bone growth stimulator 2 weeks after my surgery. The doctor said it will speed up the process. I heard that it really does help. My insurance also paid for it, and I get it when I go for my 2 week post op appointment.

• blazer said:
    o yea and they said to just wear it over the back brace will not affect the process.
    I've never heard of wearing one over the back brace. Do you have electrodes that you have to put on your back? Maybe there is something new in the world of stimulators out there. I have 2 elecrodes on my back with a wire from each going to a belt worn stimulator that is about the size of a deck of cards. Mine has a lifespan of 270 days and then the unit stops working altogether. It gets thrown out at that point.

• If u have had cervical; surgery..which I dunno what u had..........anyway, yeah, u wear the stim over your collar..........4 hrs each day for however many days they told u to wear it.....once again my friend, it's designed to stimulate bone growth. Thats the products main objective. I would use it if i were u, I did and fused fine
  • Can anyone tell me the names of the units that you have so that I can talk to my doctor about getting one. My insurance will also cover the cost.

I've had lots of experience with a TENS unit with electrodes so I pretty much know what it will be like.

I just want to be able to give my doc the names and see what he says. Marsha
  • tahoegranny said:
    Can anyone tell me the names of the units that you have so that I can talk to my doctor about getting one. My insurance will also cover the cost.

I've had lots of experience with a TENS unit with electrodes so I pretty much know what it will be like.

I just want to be able to give my doc the names and see what he says. Marsha
    It sounds as though there may be different one out there for different fusions. Mine is made by a company called SpinalPak 2 Stimulator out of Parsippany NJ. Mine has the electrodes that you place on either side of the spine where you had the fusion done. I really don't understand how the other one in this post works. Sounds like the other stimulator just needs to be in the general area of the fusion. Maybe someone will give a detailed explanation of how it works.

• the one given me is about the size of a back brace and the guy said to just wear over the back brace for 4 hours a day. its called ORTHOFIX made in mckinney texas. neurosurgeon told me today had good sucess with it speeding up the fusion process. something about sending ultra-sound to your bones.i also had a ortho-pediac surgeon who assisted with surgery and he recommends it also. they both told me my surgery turned out excellent also.by the way i had a l4l5/l5s1 fusion with 2 rods and 6 screws. hope this helps you.
  • I aoplogize for the confusion. I initially didnt realize this guy was asking about one for the back..Mine was for the neck and yes, it was just worn around the neck ..no electrodes.

• It fits over the brace 4 hours a day for 3 to 4 months.

• I asked my surgeon about one after my ACDF and he said that his clinic considers bone growth stimulators a bit like voodoo, but he's prescribe one because it certainly can't hurt anything.

Mine was an oval one, no electrodes, with padding that looked like it should be for lumbar, but I wore it over my neck brace every day for 30 minutes. I fused from C4-6, but there's still movement at C6/7 (that's the hardest cervical level to fuse because it moves every time you move your head).

My surgeon and I didn't talk about one after my TLIF and although I still have it somewhere, I haven't used it and I'm fusing well.

The only thing I can say is that it doesn't hurt if insurance or WC is willing to pay for it.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I wore one ACDF for 4 months and had a good fusion (timely and at the right amount expected at each interval). I just had L3-S1 fusion on 2/3/10 and now have a lumbar bone growth stimluator. This one is different as it is two 3" pads that sit, one on either side of my back incision. The leads off the pads connect to a small battery pack I put in my pocket (around the size of my blackberry). The neck one was a bit easier as I just wore it around my neck for 4 hr a day and took it off to shower and sleep. This one is 24/7 except for when I shower. The pads last about a week and then my hubby changes them out. It's a bit harder to sleep with but if it works I'm all for it. For both neck and back it was my insurance from my empmloyer paid for it (neither was WC related)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos