Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Jen from Feb. surgery/hell and back

JeniferJJenifer Posts: 84
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well for those of you who remember me from the Feb. surgery list here's what happened.
Had level 2 spinal fusion on Feb. 9th as scheduled. Four days later instead of going home I was transfered to the ICU unit of another hospital, because of a dural tear and a piece of catheter that had "sheared" off. They were hoping the tear would heal on it's own, but no...I had 4 days of spinal headaches so bad...I can't even tell you how bad, but my husband could. FINALLY they did surgery again 9 days later. Repaired the tear and found the piece of catheter. I spent 6 more days in the ICU and then I went to a nursing home for 16 days. Came home and had Visiting Nurse Service for 2 weeks, got discharged from them last week and tomorrow I go to the hospital for my physical therapy appointment.
It was bad..my doctor even said he was sorry that "I had been to hell and back".
I actually am doing pretty good now. This past week has made me feel like I will get through this.
I'm not even telling you everything that happened, but it is such a long story and I don't want to scare anyone off from surgery...I think this just may work in the end. I had had 5 previous surgeries, so now I've had 7, lol!
I have to laugh, I'm alive and walking.
Take care and I hope the rest of you Feb's are doing good. I will look around the site tomorrow and anwer a couple of messeges I got, but I'm going to bed now!
Take care,

• I am so relieved to hear from you !!!
    I have often thought and worried about how you were getting on.
    I realised that there must have been some bad problems. Hopefully, the worst is over now. Wishing you a straight forward recovery from this point on; you deserve it.

So relieved to hear that you are alive and well!

Take good care of yourself
    rest and heal
    Gentle hug and welcome back :-)
  • So sorry you had to go through all the trauma, but even though you've been to "hell and back", you're still positive.

That's good that you're feeling a bit better now and I hope that your fusion will be successful.

Take care and looking forward to hearing more from you.

>:D< >:D< >:D<

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • From another Feb. surgery gal, glad you are home and feeling better. I hope from here on recovery goes smoothly and relatively pain free.
  • Well good to hear from you and hope now you can focus on the next phase of recovery. Lynette
  • So good to hear from you.
    I had wondered what happened.
    You sound so positive and I have to say, it's nice that you gave us "just enough" information so that if we want to reach out to you to find out more, we can.

I love you considered the "scare" factor...thanks!
    I mean that...it's enough scare to have folks seriously understand the risks of surgery without freaking out those folks heading in soon. You are such a thoughtful person.

I am glad you see "the light" that despite hell and back that there might be relief for you.

Keep positive!
  • Glad to hear that you are now on the mend.

I had almost the same problem with a torn drain catheter after my first surgery in 1998. Didn't know about the broken tube in my back until the next surgery in 2003. Could never figure out why I always had back spasms only on the left side of my spine. IN 2003, when I had a laminotomy on L3-L4 the doc said that it would require major surgery to remove the 4" piece of drain tube and as long as it wasn't really bothering me, leave it alone.

With this surgery, I told the doc, "get it out", I don't care what you have to do...I've got a long lump on the left side of my back now because the tube is so imbedded in scar tissue. He said OK, we'll get it out...that's besides PLIF L2 to L5 next Wednesday.
    I'm scared but positive...I've survived so many surgeries so I pretty much know what to expect afterwards. Probably the worst part is the inability to move around and do what I want to do for such a long period of time.

My husband and I have to put off so many plans that we made and I feel sad for him because the last 3 1/2 years we have been dealing with horrible construction problems with house that we bought and are finally finishing up with 2 insurance companies and a lawsuit with the company that built this house. Hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel as soon as I get over this surgery. Marsha

• Hi from another Feb. surgery candidate. I had a few unexpected hassles but nothing like what you have been through. You are amazing with your positive attitude. It crossed my mind that you are so grateful to be able to be home with your family you are able to handle with such grace the horrors you have experienced. It is so good to see you posting and here's to a better recovery for you from now on.Giant gentle Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • So glad to hear you're doing better. Back surgery, like old age, ain't fer sissies!!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Wow, What a journey!! In my 1993 fusion they tore the dura mater and I had that week long headache as they chose to see if my tear could heal (was more minor than what you describe). Your journey was much more rough!!!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 

• Hi there,

Just checking in to find out how you are doing. Hopefully things are getting easier for you now.
    Haven't seen you posting in a while and was wondering if you are improving.

Wishing you well and hoping that you are now well on the way to improvement.

Take care :-)
  • Ditto....I don't get on the boards as much as I'd like but I still try to follow all my fellow february surgery buddies.