Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD is rearing its ugly head.

RatSquadRRatSquad Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:42 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I had a laminectomy and microdiscectomy from L3 to S1 in November 2008 and consider it a huge success. For the first time in a long time I was 100% pain free!!!!!! Life was returning to normal, but my Dr warned me the disks in those areas were between 50 to 80 % gone.

Now for the kicker.

Recently the old back started to complain again by getting stiff and sore. I returned to my Dr after an episode where I tried to get out of the car and fell to the ground. It appears as though the nerve(s) controlling my legs motor function took a break. Talk about being scared to death. On the bright side, the pain has rarely gone above a 2 or 3 with maybe a couple exceptions. (Maybe I am still use to the constant 6 - 8 pain level of before :) )

So, another MRI w/contrast later and I was told the disks in my lower back, specifically L4 to S1 have deteriorated to the point of there being bone against bone if I move just right. And it appears as though the initial damage to the spinal cord left some scar tissue there for me to remember it by. (I could have misunderstood that part of what the Dr said as I was still trying to wrap my head around another potential surgery)

The Dr now believes all that is left is a dual fusion (L4/L5, L5/S1).

Being stiff and sore I can live with.. BUT to not be able to stand up every now and again is not a good thing. I am sure someone else has experienced this wonderful addition to their other back problems. It would be nice to know ahead of time what I have to look forward to, as I hate nasty surprises from my back.
View my history for all the gory details.

• Yes, my condition's very similar to yours, so I know exactly what it feels like, to have to realise that things are going to be different from now on.

Looking back, I reckon it's taken me a full 2 years to come to terms with this. I've always held down a responsible job (which was lost 3 years' ago) and have always led an active life.

In reality, I now think that half the battle has been in accepting this and realising that physical restrictions don't mean life has to stop (which was my initial reaction).

As for what your future holds for you, I'm sorry but I don't know. If you do find out though, please would you tell me?!

Thank you

• Still working full time in law enforcement, but I get the feeling that will come to a rapid halt before to long. But in the meantime will carry on as always. Not ready to medically retire, but if I have to I will.

As for the "future", it was more towards does (can) the loss of motor control get worse over time; any other signs or symptoms I should be on the look out for, etc.. Talking to the Dr is one thing, but talking with others with the same problem(s) can most often be more insightful.

View my history for all the gory details.