Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSD Mental Exam

TTLCTTTLC Posts: 876
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Health Insurance Issues
So yesterday I went for my Mental Exam for SSD processing/review purposes. I was requested to file for SSD last November, per my LTD coverage plan guidelines, as I have been deemed 100% disabled through my LTD carrier.

I had no idea what to expect when I went in for this exam and it truly is called a "Mental Exam" on the form I received from SSD. One of the representatives who is assigned to my LTD case, told me this exam was a standard procedure with SSD. If you list any kind of psychiatric prescription drug you take on your SSD paperwork, they generally will require you to have a Mental Exam. She told me the exam would either be 20 minutes and you're out of there... or another kind which can last up to 4 hours. I was fortunate, as my test was the 20 minute one.

The test consisted of answering a wide variety of questions, orally.

After the test, I was amazed at how genuinely poor my memory is. I'm very honest about having short-term memory problems since my fall and I truly believe this is due to my medications. I did have a slight concussion after my fall, but it went away.

One of the first questions I was asked, was who is our current US President. That answer was an easy one for me. I was then asked who was President before Obama and you won't believe this... there was a super long pause while I tried to remember President Bush. I drew an absolute blank! I finally remembered President Bush, in the allotted time-frame, but wow... I was absolutely flabbergasted. I experienced several blank moments during the exam and I just sat there reaching and reaching to grab hold of the answers that I truly knew. Such common questions became a shocking struggle for me and I was quite embarassed.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience. Anyone who is requested to have a Mental Exam, don't be too hard on yourself during and/or after the exam. Just be yourself and answer to the best of your ability. I think being compliant to take such an exam, in some of our conditions, should earn us 4 gold stars for the effort we put forth.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    sent you a PM with some of things I found out
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I'll give you 5 Gold Stars.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I really appreciate the information you sent me.

It's been extremely helpful!

Wishing you a good day,

• Thank you for the extra gold star, Jim. :)

I really do like our little world we share together. We have a lot of great laughs together and the more laughter... the better!

I generally do just fine mentally... kind of just go with the flow and find humor with my stupor moments. For some odd reason, that exam just through me for a loop and I know this will happen with others who are suggested to take a mental exam. After I analyzed the whole experience to death, I finally realized I needed to just let go of it. I know I have memory problems and I will continue to make the best of it! I doubt I will ever be placed in a situation like that again, so there's no need to fret.

If any men with white coats show up at my door, I'll cross my arms and blink myself over to your place for a visit. :)

Wishing you a great day today,

Tammy :)

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I'll have to use you as a resource should I get to that point. I'm guessing I could end up going to the same examiner.

That may be a while as I have not yet been prompted to apply for SSDI via my LTD carrier. Is your LTD carrier providing an attorney for you? I wasn't sure if mine would and if not I thought of pursuing SSDI before my LTD carrier asks and using Caldwell & Ober (seen their commercials here).

I have been out of work just about 1 year and my LTD carrier should be asking me to apply but I want to let sleeping dogs lie and not question an thing until the LTD carrier contacts me so I don't possibly disrupt the flow of benefits.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Absolutely... I will be happy to share my experience with you.

The SSD ladies have been really helpful and very nice. I hope you are assigned to the same ladies I have been dealing with. I am unable to wait in line at the SSD office, due to how long the waiting times are, so we made other arrangements on getting my paperwork started. You can set up an appointment, if need be, to avoid the long wait in person.

I have no idea whether or not I will be approved or denied. If I should be denied, I will probably go through an attorney recommended by my LTD carrier. My LTD plan doesn't pay for the attorney fees, but they do give referrals.

I also waited until my LTD carrier asked me to file for SSD. My injury was in November of 2008 and I was asked to file for SSD in November of 2009.

Feel free to PM me at any time.

I hope you are healing well. Nice picture of your brace! They did a great job on it.

Take good care,