Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 Hernia

kevfranchisehankkevfranchisehan Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello, I came here to find out what I should do for my l5S1 Hernia, and also my L3-L4 Disk bulges. Some background information:

I am at a young age of 15 and have been weightlifting for 2 years. The incident occured during a weight heavier then i could handle that i used for squatting. I got an MRI yesterday which said that i have l5-s1 hernia and l3,l4 disk bulges. also stenosis? Now compared to other pain symtoms for people on these forums, i only have a radiating pain in my buttocks, and no numbness/sleeping problems. since i have been stretching, the pain has gotten better, almost down to none.So my question is this: is this a chronic problem to be worried about down the road? i am currently seeing a physiotherapist doing ITT therapy and so far i've been lifting and avodigin my lowerback. Yesterday i tried squatting with a lowerweight and strict form and i have no pain thusfar. any advice is appreciated, thanks!

• more information: this pain has been around for 7 months now, and ive started stretching for 2 weeks and it has been getting better, and im an age 15 male.
  • Hi Kev...glad you have been able to get your pain level down with PT and rest. I agree on seeing a Fellowship trained Orthopedic Spine doctor or Neurosurgeon. The goal is to avoid needing surgery in my opinion.

I also think you need to reconsider weight lifting as a 'sport'. I believe the PT person will give you good tips on keeping your core muscles strong, being careful on how you lift, bend, twist. You are still growing so you are lucky in that you can probably revise your activities to watch the 'impact' sports until you have built your core muscles back up.

Good luck
  • That's good that the PT is helping your pain level go down. Best to see a Neurologist to see how he can help you with further tests or referrals. With being so young and having back problems best to always watch your back and squat down without bending at the waist. Don't lift heavy loads far away from your body hold it close to you. If body building is important to you you'll need a personal trainer and perhaps a Physiatrist to help treat you and let you know the right exercises.Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.