Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Suboxone Treatment

cr3ccr3 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:43 AM in Pain Medications
I am recovering from c5/c6 replacement and fusion. I have taken narcotic pills through pain management for 12 years ( i'm 29yrs old) and after I am over the post op pain (i'm on roxicodone 30mg 6x daily and nucynta 100mg 6 x daily) my Dr. wants to refer me to a suboxone doctor to pull me off of the opiates i've been on for so long to lower my tolerances and he says the suboxone will also reduce my pain and I can be on it for as long as I need if I want to stay on it or wein off of it also after a few months.

I'm looking to hear from anyone here that has tried this and from what I understand suboxone is the "new methadone" for addiction and pain management. Please give me any advice or opinions. I would definately like to reduce the amount I take but I am not going to live in pain either. Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Says it has some pain relief qualities. And nerve pain. But said they cannot put that claim on the label because there hasn't been FDA testing on that.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • It definitely has pain relief qualities in that it is a strong opioid analgesic about thirty times as potent as morphine (some sources list it as 60x). The US is about the only country I know of that uses buprenorphine only for addiction/dependence treatment, although it has been available for pain relief in injection form (as Buprenex) in the US for many years. It's been used for moderate-severe pain in many countries for the last thirty years, and its use is increasing, especially in Europe, Australia, and some Asian countries.

The transdermal 3-day patch is preferred for chronic pain these days (it's similar to the fentanyl patch - brand names include BuTrans, Transtec and Norspan). I'm prescribed the sublingual tablets (Temgesic) for my back pain, and I find it helpful. It is about equivalent to morphine and oxycodone in terms of analgesic efficacy, despite being much stronger milligram for milligram. Some people find it very helpful, others don't (as with any other opioid medication). It has less-pronounced CNS side effects like sedation and euphoria, and also causes fewer of the unwelcome opioid effects such as itching, constipation, and so on. There is a ceiling effect for respiratory depression, and tolerance-building is less common (I've been on the same dosage for years).

One thing to be aware of is that the analgesic dose range is far lower than the doses used in addiction/dependence treatment (remember, just 1mg of buprenorphine is equivalent to about 30mg of morphine). In low doses, buprenorphine acts as a mu opioid-receptor agonist, while in much higher doses (8mg and above, generally) there is potential for antagonist effects which could interfere with any other opioids that are being used (mainly by blocking their effects). In the lower (usually microgram) doses used for pain relief this is not an issue.
  • Thanks Huggy that was very informative which is what i'm looking for. I'm going back on the 12th to get refills of my oxy and nucynta (i am one of the few people that see much more analgesic and euphoric effects from nucynta than oxy) and hopefully that'll be the last script i need of that and i can have success with the suboxone. I wouldn't know what life is like without opiates and i'm so used to them that I have no functioning problems while taking about 1000mg of opiates each day plus my soma and other relaxants and nsaids. I really think ill feel alot better if i can get this program to work with me its very costly keeping all these visits and pharmacy payments are rediculous even with insurance.

As far as pain relief i've been on pretty much everything that i've ever heard of and nucynta 100mg tabs help relieve my neck pain better than any of the oxy,morphine, fentanyl, that i've tried. They are quite sedating especially 6 x daily with other meds and alot of dr's around here are prescribing them instead of oxy and having alot of negative response from patients.
  • A friend of mine was on suboxone for pain, here in the US. He found it very helpful. In fact he said it was the best medication he had used for pain. Unfortunately since his doctor was prescribing it off label the doctor was threatened by the DEA and my friend can no longer get his prescriptions. He is back on useless meds that never worked for him. His back is slowely fusing itself together, some type of arthritis that I had never heard of. I wish I could help him, it would truely be fantastic for him to be on this med again. I wish you luck with whatever you want to accomplish with the meds.
  • You're welcome - glad I could be of help. I hope the Suboxone works for you. Some people find it really helps, but it depends on the individual. It's interesting that the Nucynta worked so well for you, as (like you pointed out) a lot of people seem to be disappointed with it. It's similar to tramadol in that respect, although it's a much stronger drug, obviously. I am prescribed Temgesic (same as Suboxone but lower dose and no naloxone) and tramadol slow-release at the moment, along with muscle relaxants, and they work fairly well together, although they don't eliminate the pain entirely, of course. Good luck!
  • Lilac100 your friend should look for a doctor that is affiliated with the current study to put cronic pain management on the label. These doctors are working separately as to not cloud each others judgements but they all work with the drug company and the FDA to find out the effectiveness of suboxone. I know this study has been going on over 5 years and I'm not sure if they are accepting new pts at this time. Your friend can also call around to pm docs and see if he can find one that legally prescribe suboxone for pain management. I have personally been on suboxone for cronic pain for over 5 years and know how wonderful it can be and hate to think that someone that was getting relief and a better quality of life has been denied the proper treatment.
advertisement