Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had this problem

bergbberg Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Im 6 mo post-op ALIF L4/L5 I still have pain in my back,butt and left leg my new problem post-op is when I lay on my back I cant sit up I can only raise my head up my back wont even budge no matter how hard I try I have to roll over and push myself up with my arms I told the surgeon about it he said he never heard of such a thing Im going to a new surgeon in 4 days
advertisement

Comments

• I just tried that and I can get my shoulders up but it's not a good way for me to move. I think it's probably a little harder on our spines to move like that. I am almost 3 years out and I still log roll to my side then push up with my arms to sit up.

Have you had any physical therapy to strengthen your core muscles and be "taught" the correct ways to move? Not to put down your doc, but physical therapists do a more thorough, hands on, exam and they would probably understand more of what you are talking about.

Just in my opinion, I don't think it's too abnormal and don't think it's a good way to move(at least not for me!) If you have not had any PT, I would SO recommend it, especially water PT to start!

Getting another opinion can certainly put your mind at ease or maybe figure out what's going on. Is your preop pain any better than postop???? I hope you get some answers and some relief, please post an update here.
  • yes I had PT I had to insist on it my doc thought walking was good enough the first month or so I couldnt even get up without terrible pain up my spine it felt like an electrical shock.as far as my pain goes I feel like I traded one pain for another
  • I'm a few weeks behind you.

I can't sit up either from lying down and don't try because I can feel restriction, so I log roll and push myself up with my arms. My physio thinks it's a bit strange, but I said that's how it has to be. Thankfully I don't have any leg pain.

Hope the new surgeon can help you. Let us know how your appointment goes.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hopefully your new Surgeon can help you out with an exam and possible tests. Maybe it would help to see a Pain Management Dr. also. I had facet joint issues that sound similar to being not able to sit up. Log rolling is one way of saving straining your back like Trish mentioned. Keep us posted about your Dr. appointment. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement