Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I got to see my NS finally!

Kat_woman38KKat_woman38 Posts: 162
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After all the drama, I finally got to see my NS this morning. I went through all the fun I've had with his office staff, and as I had thought, he was surprised to find out how I was being treated. He also told me that his schedule coming to my little town had been a bit sketchy as he didn't always have the patient load up here. I told him that maybe that was because his office workers were telling his patients that he wasn't coming. He hadn't considered that, and thanked me for the information.

As far as my symptoms go, he's sending me for a myelogram and another EMG. I've had tons of EMG's done over the years, the myelogram's a new one for me. Looks like I'll get to break out the Ativan for this one LOL!

Anyway, thanks for all of your support, everyone! I'll keep you posted!

• I'm glad you told him about his staff. He probably really had no idea! Good for you for having the guts to tell him. Also, hope you get some answers from your myelogram. Have your ice packs ready at home.

• Something he didn't tell me? I asked him if this was going to hurt me, he just kinda blew me off & said "Oh, no, they'll numb it up really well..." From what I've read, it's sort of a spinal tap in reverse, but I've never had one of those either. Any other advice? This is going to be done an hour away, as well, so I'm taking an Ativan, I'll be having my nerves all over the place I'm sure. Is there a risk for spinal headache with this procedure? I have migraines, so kinda live in horror of having one of those babies, too. But if it can fix this new fun stuff, I'm all for it, just want to know up front, and don't think he wanted to tell me everything as he knew I kinda of had my back up because of having to deal with his staff. I told him that once I got past them, he was great, and I didn't want to have to give up what I considered a great surgeon, but that they were his front line and if they treated patients that way, he'd lose business. Don't think he likes that idea much, neither would I!
  • Kat_woman38 said:
    "Oh, no, they'll numb it up really well..." From what I've read, it's sort of a spinal tap in reverse, Is there a risk for spinal headache with this procedure?
    It basically is a spinal tap in reverse. Mine didn't hurt when I was having it done other then the numbing injection, which you can't see, and is just a pich as they say. I'm one of those that need to see what they are doing so it was very unnerveing not to be able to do so. Yes a certain number of people get major headaches that can last quite a while from this procedure. This is one of the negatives to having this done. Some do and some don't. You will feel it after the numbing agent wears off and probably a ice pack may help. I was on vicodin so I just took one after the procedure and was fine. I was kept in the hospital for a couple of hours after the Ct scan was done just as a precaution. They told me they keep everyone for a couple of hours. If you get the headache you will be kept longer.

Good luck as its not that bad compared to some of the other procedures that spineys have to endure.

• Thanks, David! I appreciate you sharing your experiences. I always have to tell them to let me know when the needles come out, so I can close my eyes. I don't mind the pain, just can't stand the sight of needles, even on a TV show, how goofy is that?!? Glad to know they'll keep me there for a bit to make sure that all's A-OK as well. After my 2 level ACDF, I was home 4 hours after they wheeled me in, and that includes the hour drive home AND a stop at the store to buy straws so I could drink from a bottle!