Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

They canceled my health insurance!!!!

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I have a state insurance, that I pay for. It is through the state, but not the same as welfare or public assistance. It is insurance for people who work & don't have insurance and can't get affordable insurance but have a physical condition that needs treated in order to keep working.

Any ways..... at the end of Feb I got a letter that said I was behind on my monthly premium. I called them up and said "no, you just need to cash the checks I sent in". They asked me to call them back in 10 days to be sure that they posted my checks and cleared me. I did just that. I was told it was all good.
I even called back one more time mid March as I had not received any paper work stating they had cleared it all up. I did see that they finally cashed all my checks and I was up to date. They again assured me everything was fine.

I went to the pharmacy tonight with 2 pain scripts & was told that my insurance was dropped!!! :jawdrop:

Now my concerns is if I will have to reapply all over again or not. It took me 3 months & a bunch of Dr appt. and a TON of paper work to get this the 1st time.

If I do have to reapply I will be without my pain meds in the mean while. That thought scares me a LOT! Life as I have come to know it and appreciate it will change backwards for me - just things like dressing myself, cooking and working part time :SS

I am calling them tomorrow morning.... praying they won't make me do everything all over again....... sigh

Just needed to vent
L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• With all you be threw then this happen.You have the right to vent.
    My prayer are with you.And I hope you dont have to start all over

(((((((((((((( >:D< }}}}}}}}}}}}}}

• You are dealing with the State. it is probably a glitch that occured when they started the process when your checks were not cashed before. Call them tomorrow and it should be easily cleared up.

When you called them and were told all was good did you get a name or confirmation #? No biggie but I guess that is the reasont hey give them or you ask.

Good luck
  • Thanks Jim & TeddyDog :)

I did call this morning and was told to call back around 1 PM and HOPEFULLY it would be cleared up by then.

I asked if I would have to go through the whole acceptance process again and was told "hopefully not" :W

I did ask when this all happened for a reference, confirmation # and was told "ah we don't use those, there is not need to, this is corrected now".... =;
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Almost 2 PM called back and everything is a green light again. Thank you God! :) I did ask what happened and was told the very official answer of "I don't know". Which is what I pretty much expected.

I did call pharmacy and ask them to try to put my scripts through again just to be SURE and I held on while they did go through......
  • That was a close one! I'm so glad it all worked out.
  • Phew!

There will also be some new programs being set up for people who can't get insurance. It will be nice to have options, won't it!
  • yes, this insurance is a life saver for me, if not a life saver then for sure a sanity saver lol 8}

I did without a lot of medical care that could have helped me before I got insurance.

I could only afford vicodin when I was paying cash, so that is all I had for pain control. My Dr. God Bless Him gave me sample of my diabetic meds. for years, he also gave me my migraine meds, and as many other meds as he could give me from his samples he did. Other wise he wrote me low cost scripts. He also took care of me for free for about 4 yrs!

I had been going to him before when I had insurance, then when I get sick & hurt and no longer had insurance he kept on seeing me.

He was the one that told me about this insurance program. I made too much $ for welfare, not enough to pay high premiums through private self insurance. At 1 point we decided to just figure out a way to afford my own insurance and no one would accept me as of my diabetes & my back injury.

When I heard last night it was cancelled all the old nightmare of no health insurance came running back to play through my mind! :SS

I am SO thankful I did not have to wait and go without while being re approved again.

If any one knows is this insurance I have just for my state of Pa. or do other states have it? It is called MODE. I can't remember what the letters stand for. Like I said before it is for people who still work but need medical care in order to be able to still work. Their guidelines are not bad at all. For a family of 2, you can earn up to 64,000 gross a year and top monthly price is 129.00

Any ways thanks to all who lent me their ear while I was having my melt down ♥

• I am glad that it all worked out for you and you are indeed still covered. I am sure you didn't need the added stress of thinking that you had no coverage for a day or two.
    That sounds like a great program they have in your state. They seem to have fairly decent income guidelines for the "working poor". Too many people in this situation fall through the cracks and go without insurance coverage.
    Again, I am glad that it all worked out for you!
    Take Care,
  • So glad to hear that this was just a "scare", rather than a "nightmare"! I, too, know how it feels to be w/o health insurance & also having to deal with State insurance. Neither are fun! I don't particularly care for the State insurance, but it's better than nothing-especially when it comes to medication that you absolutely need-for instance, I have really high "bad" cholesterol, really low "good cholesterol" and my triglycerides are out of control. I have to take a medication that addresses all 3 of these, as opposed to a simple 'statin' drug. The med I take is called Lovaza, which is an Omega-3 mainly. It's VERY expensive & I have to put up a fight every single month to get it filled. The State wants me to take the 'statin' meds, not understanding that not only will that not help, it could actually make me worse! My Dr is legitimately concerned that I could have a stroke with the way my #'s are-the State could care less, they just don't want to shell out for the more costly med. I have other medical problems (aside from the pain stuff)-some of the meds are no problem to fill, others are the same hoops to jump through every month. I would much prefer to be back at work & on private health care insurance where it's not so much of a fight to get the care my Dr's say that I need! It just gets old having an insurance company, especially State run (be it the spend down, self pay or welfare/M'Caid/M'Care type) tell you what you need & don't need when it comes to your health, irregardless of what your Dr's say. Heck, M'Caid is what kept me from having back surgery for so long-I could have had a simple microdiscectomy done years ago, but because I had to fight with M'Caid at the time, I couldn't get anything but pills & ESI's/PT, etc. Now, as you know, I need a fusion from L2/3-L5/S1! All in the name of saving $? Sounds to me like it's going to cost "someone" a lot MORE $ now-not to mention to emotional cost to me & my family over the last 5 years of being tossed into the corner having pills thrown at me.

Yup-I'm SO VERY relieved for you!!! Thank God you don't have to go through all of the bureaucratic stuff again. It's certainly not fun. I'm guessing you got those prescriptions by now too, eh? YAY! =)

I really think the power of prayer works-this is just another example of when a bunch of people pulled together & prayed for you, & it worked! Believe it or not, I never used to believe in that stuff, but over the last year or so, I've seen a different 'light', for lack of a better word, when it comes to prayer, especially when it's multiple people that are pulling for you! =)
  • I have insurance through the state but not like you guys describe. It is a open policy but I pay a health premium for it as well. The policy I have is to insure those whom are uninsurable or are paying above the 150% of the average going rate of a premium. My insurance for all purposes looks like I am anthem, as they direct the benefits. I have all the access of anthem choice, but it is MHIP insurance. Now my premium rates are almost $700 per month with a $2,500 deductible on medical and then 80/20 till the first 25,000. My prescription doesn't kick in till $300.00 but I do get the discounted prices till I get there. Unlike the donut hole in medicare they only attach what you actually pay to the deductible not retail price. So I go without plenty each month to insure I have insurance and afford the insurance.

As far as the confirmation number I get one each month when I phone in the payment. I could mail it in but have found I like the phone in deal better as I get the confirmation number and there is no additional cost for it. I also check my bank account 5 days after the transaction to insure the money has been removed. There are so many stipulation to get into that program I don't dare risk loosing it. I had carried my cobra for as long as they would allow me to. I didn't fit the extension program or assistance in paying the premiums as I was outside of the window. My premiums with cobra were $400 a month with no deductible so I took quit a large jump but I have the denial letters on being rejected for insurance given my neck injuries.

Now I need to do some checking with the new policy and no pre-existing were this leaves me. I will tell you it is the law they send you a letter that you have had coverage for x amount of time if you loose your coverage for any reason. Now I am not sure how imperative those letters are but I would still treat them like gold if you get one.

I am glad everything worked out for you.
  • never dull for you is it Beth!
    I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.