Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Adhesive Capsulitis and Thoracic Back Pain

drayhamddrayham Posts: 2
I was in an accident where I tore my rotator cuff and fractured my back. The fracture has healed and I had the rotator cuff repaired, however, I developed adhesive capsulitis from the shoulder surgery. Now I have pain in my thoracic back that becomes very painful when I use my arms to do ordinary tasks that can cause me to miss work 5 or so days a month and loss night of sleep. Because nothing major shows up on an MRI I am told that there is nothing I can do to improve my problem except to take pain medications. Adhesive capculitis is a painful debilitating condition that doesn’t show up on an MRI and what I am finding out is that most Doctors are at a loss if the MRI report doesn’t show anything. The shoulder surgeon is aware of the adhesive capsulitis however he has told me that I have a chronic condition for which there is noting I can do except exercise which makes my condition worse. Does anyone have any ideas?

• This adhesive capsylitis is all in your shoulder, is that correct?

I think it is just like rehabilitating a shoulder after any surgery. You have to go through a certain amount of pain in the course of getting it to move again. Often a doctor will prescribe pain medication so the patient is able to without stand physical therapy.

Do you heat up the area prior to exercising and then ice it afterward? I think you'll have to put up with the pain for now in hopes that you can break up that scar tissue and get the tissues to move again.

To help the process along, you might want to try acupuncture. If you can find a practioner who does body work along with the acupuncture, I think you would have a chance of regaining mobility.

I imagine the main reason for the thoracic back pain is due to muscle imbalance and soft tissue stiffness due to the shoulder issues...especially if there is nothing else showing up mechanically on the MRI.

Are you currently seeing a physical therapist?
    Hopefully others will have some ideas for you.

• Gwennie, the pain I have endured has forced me to seek a physiatrist, a psychiatrist, several chiropractors, several physical therapists... I've had 2 arthroscopic releases, which made some improvement, but I am still struggling with this problem. Adhesive capsulitis is a shoulder disease however, the pain radiates down through my elbow like something is splitting the bone, and it spread into my back through my scapula which feels like an infection spreading from my shoulder to my back. The thoracic pain I am experiencing feels like a broom stick is being forced through my back into my torso. In the morning sometimes it feels like I have been completely impaled with pain shooting from my back out through my chest. I had to seek psychiatric help because I was starting to loose it from all the sleep I have lost. Now I am starting to have anxiety because of the time that it is stealing away from me. Physical therapy helps, pain medications help but it's been 2 year and 9 months now and I am growing weary.
  • Drayham if the PT isn't helping it is time for a new PT. Just like anything some are good some are bad but there are a few who are GREAT. You need a great. It takes some shopping and time but you can find one.

Several years ago my husband had a very bad rotator tear. He was miserable. They sent him for PT but the place was awful. Then the doc suggested water therapy so he switched to a place that could do that. Turned out he never went in the pool but this PT is excellent. Therapy often hurts but a good therapist makes all the difference.It also requires a steady committment from you. 2-3 times a week for months. You can't go once in a while or skip days because it's inconvienent.

Good Luck finding the right place.