Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycontin v. Fentanyl

bekabbeka Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Pain Medications
Hello everyone

I have been on oxycontin with short acting oxy for breakthrough for nearly five years.

I have always found with oxy that I get great relief for around 3 weeks then the relief about halves.

I hang on for about a year while the relief reduces, and then I've got increases. Over the time I've been on it my dr's increased the dosage about four times. I'm now on 120 mgs, including breakthrough meds, a day.

I'd love to know other people's experiences on oxycontin compared to the fentanyl patch, as this is another option my dr is considering.

I know all opiates cause tolerance, and it varies from person to person, but I feel the oxy causes it so fast with me and i have to suffer so long before an increase.

Have people had the same thing happen with fentanyl -- great for first few weeks then by a month, half the relief, by 6 months can barely notice?

I have also tried MS Contin, but bad side effects. Clearly running out of options.

I know everyone's experience is unique, but would just love to hear what others have discovered/expreienced for themselves.

Thanks in advance.

• I had the same problem with fentanyl patch. I was on the 50 Microgram/hr for only 1 month, then went to 75 for only 2 months. The 100 microgram/hr worked for the rest of the time I was on fentanyl, which was only a few months till after my last surgery. Don't know if this helps but I hope so.

I think no matter what opium products you use the same is true, the body needs more and more for the same effect.
  • 120 mg's? and B/T meds......seems like a high dosage to me. What milligrams are the OC's? I take 40's 3x's a day with Oxy for B/t....I didnt like fent. Made me feel sick. Was on 50's and then 75's...Felt nauseau, tired.
    Like the other poster said, more than likely with any drug u build a tolerance.
  • I build up a tolerance fast also and always have to modify my doses and meds. I am on 6 x 100mg nucynta and 6 x 30mg roxicodone daily for pain with 4 x 350mg soma and mobic/motrin currently. I have been on every pain medication that i've heard of over the past 12 years and fortunately have a pm doc that understands my situation. The fentanyl i was on 100mcg patches once every 3 days with kadian for breakthrough without alot of success. I actually never felt the fentanyl relieve my pain and during proceedures when they give fentanyl via iv I get no relief so i opt to have dilauded in place of it and it helps alot more. Some meds such as morphine (kadian) also no matter what the dosage I get no relief whatsoever so it just depends what works with your system. Oddly enough nucynta which technically is not as strong as the other drugs gives me the most instant relief so that is my daily maintenance pm med. I have thought about having a pump installed but my doc says i would max the pump out within the first year and it will be no benefit after that so i'm kind've stuck. The recommendation I am going to try within the next month is getting on a suboxone program to take me off of these other opiates and try managing my pain with sub for a while to lower my tolerance to other pain meds because I am pretty much maxed out according to my pm doc.
  • Thanks, I appreciate the replies.

Kyadog, I am on a total of 120 mgs/day of oxy -- 30mgs 2x day of long acting, 15mgs 4x day for breakthrough. So that sounds like less than you.

I've ascertained what I needed to. I guess it's not the oxy, rather my predisposition to soak it up like a sponge.

Considering spinal cord stimulator at this point.

Thank you again for the replies.