Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Excruciating back pain, right side

Whitney0430WWhitney0430 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
For the past couple of years, I've had a VERY tender spot on my middle back, 2 or 3 inches right of my spine. Lately, though, the pain is almost in a straight line up my back (starting from my tender spot), parallel to my spine, and ends at the bottom of my shoulder blade. The pain is EXCRUCIATING. I can't even breathe without it hurting. I haven't been lifting anything heavy and I didn't tweak it. I have been sick for nearly 4 weeks, and I think the coughing is aggravating those muscles in my back. The pain has worsened over the days and I'm really trying to take it easy, but it doesn't help. Any thoughts on what it could be or how i can help it?

• Have you had an MRI yet or x-rays? I would follow up with a Doctor especially with a cough so bad that it aggravates your spine or muscles. Maybe heat or hot shower or bath could help. Do you have any numbness in your leg or anything? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • No numbness in my legs, they feel just fine. I am thinking about going to a doctor this week to have it checked out. I can't decide whether to go to a chiropractor or a general physician...
  • If you haven't seen your general practitioner yet, I would think that would be a good place to start. What you describe could be so many things and things not even related to the spine. See the doc and let him/her help you sort through your situation and then determine if seeing the chiropractor might help.

Welcome to Spine Health.

• Hi there,

I too have a sharp, stabbing, shooting pain a few centimetres from my spine on the right side. (L2) Does it feel like a really tight knot? You really really need to get an mri/bone scan/ct scan. I am extremely wary of chiros, read some horrifying posts of spineys experiences with them and you'll see why-if anything, go to a physiotherapist. I did, for about a year. She did gentle massage on my back, hard massage on my quads and stomach and gave me lots of exercises that strengthened my core muscles. My physio is lovely, but she gave me a diagnosis which wasnt accurate-so you really should see a orthopedic surgeon or someone who specializes the spine. Thoracic issues are really frustrating. You really need an mri-demand one if you have too. Pain is the way your body is telling u that something isnt right. If your doctor tells you that you dont need an mri (like my stupid one did), demand one or see another doctor. My mri showed disc bulges, spondylosis (thoracic), nerve compressions, annular tears...and i am only 23. Get an mri, and then go from there
  • oh, and i didnt lift anything heavy-ask ppl on here! All i did was sit up! I felt something "tear" or something.. and then from that day, my back hasnt been the same. People can get disc bulges just from sneezing!