Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update- 9 wk follow up, cleared to fly, and brace time to be reduced

SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:43 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Saw the surgeon today after my L3-S1 fusion. I have to wear the lumbar brace for 2 more weeks full time and then beginning week 3 I am to taper off wearing it. Fist take it off at 9pm and sit up/do stuff around the house, etc. Then taper off an hour per day.

We are supposed to fly from our home in Phx to Chicago this Thursday (to stay at my brother's and meet our niece who was born in October) and I was cleared for that as well. They gave me a note as to why I have the big brace, that I may set off detectors, etc. I'm wearing a bone growth stimulator 24 hours a day but will remove it for the flight. I don't think airlines want to see wires hanging out of a patient.

I see the surgeon again in about 6 weeks and then I'll go to physical therapy. My surgeon said I can not to PT for my knee yet as the PT could require the use of back muscles, etc. So I will combine the back with the knee if at all possible. I did PT last summer and will use the same facility/therapist.

I did tell him I have pain that feels like hardware in the bone pain and he said that's normal. I said it varies daily where it hurts and he said this is totally normal as I become more active and things heal at different rates.
2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
advertisement

Comments

• I hope you have a great time visiting your brother and get to see his new baby. I hope your pain is controlled while you're away. Keep well hydrated during your trip and have fun. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • great news!!!!!! You are doing so well-take it easy on your trip and don't overdo-you will probably be tired after the flight,so be good to yourself and rest.We are so happy for you!
  • I'm really glad to hear that you're making good progress in your recovery. For me, it was hard to wean off the brace at first for fear of falling or doing something I shouldn't, but now it feels good. I hope your weaning goes well.

Sounds like you have some fun plans and I hope the flight isn't too hard on you.

Thanks for the update, it great to hear that you're doing well and that the strange pains you're having are normal.

Cath
  • Bring warm clothes. Our one warm day out of the next ten is supposed to be Wednesday, and then dropping down to a high of 60 for several days.

I'm so glad your surgeon feels you are doing well. And I'm sure it is time for celebration when brace time is reduced. I have yet to go through that...but am still hoping. ;)

Hope you have a wonderful, relatively pain-free trip. I wonder if the humidity will bother you??

xxx Gwennie
  • Yeah, Sounds like some good news all the way around with a whole lot of hard work still to go. (I know I sure know how to spoil the mood.)

Be kind to yourself and take it slow. Each day will bring new pains. It's a long and winding road. (Hey, maybe I could make a song out of that. Nah, probably already been done.) Anyway, try to recognize the signs and know when to stop and rest.

I truly hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy meeting your new niece.

Have Fun. Make sure you check in and tell us all about it when you get back. LOVE CHICAGO!
  • Glad to see your follow up was good. And any time out of the brace will be a good time. Congrats on the neice, i bet she will be happy to meet her aunty :)
  • Glad to hear some positive news for you! Keep hanging in there and good luck with the airlines!

Blessings,
    Becca
  • Ah...I just had a visual of you setting of the metal detector with your bone stimulator attire...haha too funny, Karin.

Have a wonderful trip; hope you have a direct flight. I just could not imagine having to be stuck in the airport for any length of time.

I'm praying for you the have a painfree trip.

Lisa
  • Congrat's that is awesome! You are just a few weeks ahead of me (I'm 6 weeks). These braces are so hot and sweaty! I go out to walk and when I get back and take the brace off, my tank is soaked where the brace was....yuck. And it's only going to get worse down here in the coastal south! :)

Good luck on your trip/flight. Maybe if there is room, they will bump you up to first class where you can sit comfortably.:)

Congrat's on your new neice!! Is so great to watch them grow! Hold her close, creating memories to last a lifetime, she'll grow fast! xxxx Shari
  • Hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy meeting the new member of your family.

Listen to your body and don't over do it.
    Here comes your new improved life!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I tried to go to NASCAR last week in our RV. I knew I would not get to the races but I couldn't even stay at the track and left on Friday. 70% of the reason was the brace. It does not breathe and I hate feeling hot. 30% was pain.

We were going to have a hard time paying for this so my brother used some of his miles to get my hubby's first class round trip non stop ticket and I used my miles to get mine. I figured first class will be better and everytime I've tried to use the miles the airline comes up wtih a reason why I can't. So what the heck...I'll use them for this trip.

We are flying in on Thursday on purpose. The whole family gathering starts Friday evening. Originally my brother said "you can fly in Friday, get to our place to freshen up and off we go". Ummmm, no, that's not going to happen. So we fly in Thursday so I can rest as needed. My parents, my SIL's parents, and my SIL's sister and husband are all staying at hotels. We "win" the right to the guest room. That way I can be up and down as needed. Plus my brother lives downtown so it's not like the hotels are affordable :-) Everyone has seen the baby but us since my parents live in Ann Arbor, MI and my SIL's family is from St. Louis.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
advertisement