Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got my first ESI treatment yesterday.

vermithraxvvermithrax Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Spinal Injections
I was really worried, as I am a wimp when it comes to pain. Got into the room with the xray/floroscope and they have you lay down with a pillow under your stomach.

He didn't use any sedative or IV pain killer, just local shots of Lidocaine I think. The shots of the numbing agent kind of hurt a little. Like any other shot, just not as painful. He used quite a bit, and probably injected a little bit in 5-6 different locations.

He gave me two different steroid shots in two different locations, due to the fact that I have two disc herniations, L4-L5 and L5-S1. I didn't really feel him put the needle in at all, no pain whatsoever. When he injected the steroids, it felt like pressure, exactly like he was pushing with his hand on my back. Honestly that is what I thought he was doing at first. Didn't hurt at all.

It was over, from the very start to the finish in maybe 3 minutes. It was over so quick I couldn't believe it. Much much easier than I thought it would be. I go back next month for another and one more a month after that.
After the injection, I didn't notice any more or less pain. Today, it is pretty much the same as it always is. I expect it will take several days to see any improvement if it works.

The worst part of the whole experience was paying the $700 honestly. It may be different for other people, or it may be different next time I go in, but for me, this time it was pretty easy. Hope this helps some.

• I hope you get some good relief from the injections. I go back for my 2nd one in 6 days. I didn't have too much pain either for the first one and had a reduction in leg pain ever since my first injection March 3rd. Sorry to hear you have to pay $700. for this. I wouldn't know where to get that funds living on disability income. Ice to prevent any bruising and try to take it easy for 3 days so the medication can work. Keep us posted how you're feeling. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Also hope you get lots of relief! I know a good portion of people do- I got some relief, not a huge amount (but when your back is in the shape mine is, every little bit counts!).

One thing I noticed mine helped with a LOT was the really stiff, achy feeling when I got out of bed- so be sure and pay attention to that in the upcoming weeks when you're trying to decide if it helped :)