Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Opiate resistant pain?

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:43 AM in Pain Medications
So has anyone ever heard of this one??

I was diagnosed with "Opiate resistant pain" a couple of years ago.

This was coupled by the comment that "my opiate receptors were saturated" and therefore the medications were not being effective. I believe that I am starting down that dark ally again.

Anyone heard of this before?

Thanks in advance,

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• hey D,

Some good reading on opioids on Wiki...

Might provide a little insight :)
  • Do you mean that you've developed tolerance to opioid medications, or that the pain you have just isn't affected by opioid medications?

I think both situations are fairly common.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Yes and or Yes.

Spine-health Moderator

• Sounds like a pain management doctor, thats who Ive heard the same type of crap from before. Or the classic "opiates are not effective against your type of pain."

Ive come across many doctors in the last 3 years, most from my many stays in the hospital, and in other ways, all from the same giant health system that has helped me since I was a kid. Usually the doctors from the pain clinic are always anti-opiates, some believing in eastern medicine, and none who have ever been able to improve my pain. Ive been having to use opiates daily for years now and only in the last year and moreso in the last six months has my pain been greatly under control. My doctor and surgeon have messed with the meds and dosages for over two years until I felt like I had a a life again, though Im recovering from a major operation in February, my pain has stayed 90% under control, which is a miracle for me.

Without opiates my quality of life is unlivable. If your doctor tries to answer your pain problem by lessening or taking you off your opiate medication I would find another doctor. thats just my opinion.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Put me on Methadone. It hits different receptors. NMDA receptors I believe. Like anything else, it has side effects. But it has covered my pain well with hydrocodone for breakthrough.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Please research information about methadone.

It is a "horse of a different color" in the field of pain medications because it has an extremely long half-life.

My 34-year-old healthy (other than chronic back pain) son died in August, 2009 after taking Methadone, Restoril and Soma as prescribed.

We never knew what a dangerous drug it could be. The month after his death there was an article on the front page of the New York Times about methadone deaths.

Thanks for listening. Val
    I think I have that blurb memorized by now ... but the meds make me forgetful!!

How are you doing?

Spine-health Moderator

I can not begin to say enough towards your loss, due to the combination of this disease (chronic Back or Neck pain)and the usage of strong pain and other medications.

Each person and they way that their bodies react to medications can vary greatly. I know personally that Methadone is one that I can not tolerate and have had issues with. Today I refuse it as an option for pain management. Methadone is unique in many ways - a likin it to using gasoline to fight a fire - by itself it IMO is a demonic formulation - add to that any other more sigularlly benign medications and the outcomes are certainly uncertain. I beleive that there is a know difinative contraindication with the use of methadone and diazepam (valium)(Bezodiazapine family) - Restoril(Temazepam)is in that same family of benzodiazapines. Just curious, Have you ever consulted with a member of the legal profession about your loss?

Warmest Regards,

Spine-health Moderator

• It slipped my mind to come back to this forum until now.
    Thank you for your reply and condolences D.

I have read that benzos and methadone are contraindicated. Soma is metabolized similarly to a benzodiazepine. I wonder about the safety of prescribing three CNS depressants when one of them can build up in the system?

I have had chronic pain most of my life and have a PM doctor. (My son had a general MD). I recently took a urine drug test and one of the drugs tested for was Soma even though it is not prescriped for me. I can only guess that Soma is a common drug of abuse. Why prescribe it then when there are other choices? Drug companies often want the doctors to prescribe the cheaper drugs first, so I was also given methadone. It made me nauseated, so I stopped taking it right away.

My son, Trent, was an ivory carver in Maui for many years. He was healthy enough to free-dive and spearfish. Unfortunately, he still was a victim of methadone. I have talked with many others who have had their loved ones die from even one pill! There is a review board in Hawaii that attorneys have to get by before opening a case with a medical expert's opinion that there was malpractice. I recently received the results of an expert's opinion that my son had 'reasonable, acceptable' care. Methadone is prescribed often because it is cheap. I believe physicians that prescribe it should have special education.

Unfortunately, I did not have any knowledge about the risks of methadone beforehand, I have never heard of another drug that has a half-life of up to 90 hours! I have a statement saying that my son was always compliant with taking his drugs as prescribed and his meds were accounted for, so he didn't overdose.

Whenever i notice that someone is taking methadone, I feel an obligation to advise them to make sure they are know about the risks.
    Take care. Val

• Val, I am so sorry for your loss.

I am on so many meds, and doctors rarely tell me when one shouldn't be taken with another. I am often given several that have tylenol in them, and not told not to take them at the same time! If I wasn't as meticulous as I am about checking all of my drugs I think I could be dead 10 times over.

I think it's scary out there in medicine land. I just wrote a note to a 21 year old on oxy to watch what he's taking very carefully. I just can't imagine how we are supposed to manage all of this ourselves :(

Methadone sounds like both a very scary med and one that could be a lifesaver for some people. But maybe something that should only be prescribed by trained pain management doctors.
  • ..of being on opoid medications, I don't believe that I've grown tolerant to all of them. I think that PM doctors should switch your meds periodically so this doesn't happen and you exceed their limit. I would certainly be concerned if a young person like 21 yrs is already opiod resistant. This is another reason why a skilled pain mgt doctor is needed b/c they know how to handle a situation like this and may even be able to prevent it happening in the first place, while also treating the person's pain adequately.

Val, I'm sorry for your loss. This should never had happened. I was on Methadone once and I felt confident that I would be ok as long as I followed my doctor's directions. Methadone is a powerful and effective painkiller, and whomever prescribes it must be experienced and know what they are doing.